5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Change original transmission fluid at 200k?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:50 PM
blkbeltolson

Default Change original transmission fluid at 200k?

First of all, hello everyone.

Anyway, my question is, My mustang (1990 LX hatchback) that I bought in 1991 has 191,000 miles on it. The tranny screen was changed about 3 years ago for the first time since I had the car. Now the trans slips out of gear at idle, or after coming to a stop. If I tap the gas, it goes back in gear. Kind of like having a clutch. Anyway, I had always heard that when the transmission fluid is so old like that, you shouldnt add new fluid because it will eat away inside of the tranny and cause more problems. This guy who wants me to drain it and fill it with new fluid says as long as we dont flush it with some kind of cleaner, it will be ok. So would it be advised to remove all the older fluid and replace it with new fluid? He said as long as it was type F. He also said he could adjust the bands on the tranny and possibly fix the slipping problem. Does this guy legit? Thanks.

Also, I cant I finally fixed my cars shifting problem that its had for 15 years. Apparently the TV cable housing erroded about 3/4 of an inch causing the car to switch gears at rediculously low rpm. I asked people through the years and they all said" no, that cant be adjusted, then I came here and came across the TV cable, and how to adjust it. I still cant believe I waited about 15 years to fix a problem that takes 3 minutes.....now the car shifts great!!

Anyway for now, here is a pic of my 1990 Mustang LX

[IMG]local://upfiles/88992/F0888C164B234DD8A132022BE0030233.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Change original transmission fluid at 200k?

Was the trany ever rebuilt and when was that? How many miles did it have when you bought the car? Most likey what ever you do you may need a trans rebuild. I had mine rebuild a few years ago when it had about 115000 miles I think....Had alot of sliping in it before it finaly went. The guy that rebuilt it for me asked me how i got it to his shop cause when he went in it, it wouldnt go anywhere lol. Also if you car was shifting early for so many years there is a good chance you wore out alot of the bands.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

an auto with 191000 on original tranny fluid...yikes!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 PM
blkbeltolson

ORIGINAL: 945LSTANG

an auto with 191000 on original tranny fluid...yikes!
Thats right!! 191000 miles( actually more cause the speedo cable was out for a good 10,000 hehe) This explains why I switch from 3 Camaros, to my Mustang Lets see a Chevy do that!!

Anyway, about the tranny ever being rebuilt. No, it hasnt. The car had around 34,000 miles when I bought it. (yeah, Im an idiot) but still, its lasted this long so....

Now, I dont want to change all the fluid and the tranny go to crap. Whats up with this guy saying he can adjust the belts? Is that possible? If so, then why would you need a rebuild if you could just tighten up the belts? BTW, I'm a car painter not a mechanic [8D] even though I can take things apart and put them back together.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Tranny fluid needs to be changed regularly, just like any other lubricant. Not as often as engine oil, but a LOT more often than every 100k or 190k or whatever.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:11 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i would NOT change it. if you need to limp d*ck it along until you have $$$ for a rebuild i would add a bottle of lucas to thicken things up (it works wonders with injured trannies) and drive nice
Old 01-22-2008, 04:26 AM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

I don't know what to say about this thread. 191,000 miles without a tranny fluid change
and 15 years with a mis-adjusted TV cable! Oh, boy.
I would keep info like that to myself if I was "numb headed" enough to neglect a car that bad.
I sure as hell wouldn't come on a performance oriented forum like this
and make my first post about how I can't even do required general routine maintenance on my vehicle.
If your tranny is hurt, you only have yourself to blame.I guess you like spending money.
Buying and swapping out a tranny is a lot more expensive than changing fluids once in awhile.

FAIL.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:27 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

try some trans-x
Old 01-22-2008, 06:54 AM
blkbeltolson

Well, capri

If you dont know what to say, then dont say anything. Especially when it has nothing to do with an answer to my questions. Apparently there are more idiots then you think. I've asked mechanics over the years in ford dealerships and they said the same thing about leaving the old tranny fluid in there, and this was at around 100,000 miles. And as far as the TV cable, It wasnt a mis adjusted TV cable, 3/4 of the cable housing corroded away, and it wasnt visably noticable. Like I said, I asked multiple times through the years about adjusting shifting rpm, and nobody knew.

ORIGINAL: capri debris

I don't know what to say about this thread. 191,000 miles without a tranny fluid change
I would keep info like that to myself if I was "numb headed" enough to neglect a car that bad.
and make my first post about how I can't even do required general routine maintenance on my vehicle.
If your tranny is hurt, you only have yourself to blame.I guess you like spending money.
Buying and swapping out a tranny is a lot more expensive than changing fluids once in awhile.

FAIL.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:24 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: blkbeltolson

Well, capri

If you dont know what to say, then dont say anything. Especially when it has nothing to do with an answer to my questions. Apparently there are more idiots then you think. I've asked mechanics over the years in ford dealerships and they said the same thing about leaving the old tranny fluid in there, and this was at around 100,000 miles. And as far as the TV cable, It wasnt a mis adjusted TV cable, 3/4 of the cable housing corroded away, and it wasnt visably noticable. Like I said, I asked multiple times through the years about adjusting shifting rpm, and nobody knew.

ORIGINAL: capri debris

FAIL.

YOU WANNA KNOW WHY THEY SAY THAT!!...CAUSE THEY WANNA SELL YOU A NEW TRANNY AND OR CAR...bmw In ALOT OF THEIR CARS. have what is called lifetime fluid..they hope the tranny to outlast the warranty just enough so that when it does blow..it's gosh awful expensive to repair and at that point the car probably after the many years of neglect they hope that you will find it more economicly fiesable to buy a new car rather than fix the old one.[&:]

Quick Reply: Change original transmission fluid at 200k?