5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need help, narrowed down to 2 cams

Old 01-27-2008, 12:01 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Need help, narrowed down to 2 cams

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

ORIGINAL: mjr46

^^^^^^that's all fine and dandy..but I often wonder..how much more benifit is that??? is it really like a seat of the pants feel difference?? or is it splitting peas for and extra 10-15 hp??.....cause I've know people with custom cams that haven't performed any better or worse than a ots cam with nearly similar builds...anyway just curious...........oh and flcracker sorry about never replying..just reread the thread now..but looks like you made a good choice..joel5.0 is a good man and great advice giver!!
For example......... a stock 302/302 SBF setup, untouched GT40 heads (aside a stud rockers conversion), EFI setup with a Rev Extender as the only addition to the ECM, CI cam, totally driveable and used daily...... performing 11.19 @119 mph in the 1320', 100% N/A, after 15,500 miles on the odometer in a year, and revving it to 8,000 rpms..... even though it only made 305RWHP/317RWTQ.
^^^^^^so who's car was that?????
Old 01-27-2008, 12:33 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

jays. project red death or something like that

RED DEATH
Old 01-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Yep.....
Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

8k with gt40's?

will they even flow enough that high? or is that a dumb question?
joel can you shed some light on this one....?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

ORIGINAL: mjr46

^^^^^^that's all fine and dandy..but I often wonder..how much more benifit is that??? is it really like a seat of the pants feel difference?? or is it splitting peas for and extra 10-15 hp??.....cause I've know people with custom cams that haven't performed any better or worse than a ots cam with nearly similar builds...anyway just curious...........oh and flcracker sorry about never replying..just reread the thread now..but looks like you made a good choice..joel5.0 is a good man and great advice giver!!
It's not just a power issue, it will all depend on the actual goals of the user...... and a lot of them also require driveability from a setup. Also, keep in mind that the cam is just one piece of the puzzle, if you don't set the rest of the pieces to work together, it won't matter what cam you install, use the wrong valve train setup....and it will not perform + it's not a peak HP game...... it's an increase of the average HP across the "working" RPM's range that matters, and how fast you get there (=acceleration)..... this is why you could also see setups with less HP ratings winning over higher HP setups.

For example......... a stock 302/302 SBF setup, untouched GT40 heads (aside a stud rockers conversion), EFI setup with a Rev Extender as the only addition to the ECM, CI cam, totally driveable and used daily...... performing 11.19 @119 mph in the 1320', 100% N/A, after 15,500 miles on the odometer in a year, and revving it to 8,000 rpms..... even though it only made 305RWHP/317RWTQ.
That car is running a 4.56 gear too though which is helping its ET A LOT, most of us don't go that crazy with gears and wouldnt see such a deep ET.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

8k with gt40's?

will they even flow enough that high? or is that a dumb question?
joel can you shed some light on this one....?
Anytime I see a remark like "xx cam with x.x ratio rockers making a lift of .585" (to pick a number) is a waste b/c GT40/GT40p/ported E7 heads are done flowing @.500" lift, so why pick a cam with a lift over .500" "...... I simply chuckle. Most flow number tables are results @28" H20, etc, etc........ does the engine only work @28" pressure differential?....... nope.... so why take those flow numbers as gospel? Another little detail is..... when in the piston cycle do you want to have the best flow?...... would increasing total lift be a benefit in the 85°-106° ATDC range?........ or increasing it in the 75°-113° ATDC work better for cylinder filling?...... in other words, you could have a gross .585" lift at the valve, but you had the valve open between .480" - .510" lift during the time the engine needed it most to cram that cylinder with more A/F. Isn't that what we want to have the engine do to generate more power?....... this is the reason why total valve lift is not, should not be a goal/limitation...... it's rather a result of the required events to do some real
Old 01-27-2008, 02:12 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

i understand that but was under the impression that the head itself would hold it back. basically it would lose power as it was revving that high. i saw that in the link for red death that there was a "simple valve job" did that help with the extra rpm? if thats the case could i take my simple gt40p's bolt them on have jay do me a cam with the right springs and valve train. put it together then rev the **** out of mine as well?

does RPM equal more power as well?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:32 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

i understand that but was under the impression that the head itself would hold it back. basically it would lose power as it was revving that high. i saw that in the link for red death that there was a "simple valve job" did that help with the extra rpm? if thats the case could i take my simple gt40p's bolt them on have jay do me a cam with the right springs and valve train. put it together then rev the **** out of mine as well?

does RPM equal more power as well?
For one, I am not too sure why you would assemble a killer cam/valvetrain combo, and do it on the GT-40P head. I mean they have their application, just not here. More RPM's do not equate to more power if you choke the motor down.

I cannot see those heads being the best option for that combo. Just me thinking out loud. I would think with that combo at 8,000 the engine would go totally flat, in fact at about 7,000 it should start to die.

That's just me though.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:19 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

I would have gotten the CompCams myself.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:53 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Well, my new custom cam has been ordered and paid for. The only advice I have for going custom is, it cost money to do it right!. Jay at CI was able to convince me that without the matching springs, the cam won't perform to it'sfull potential. I was under the impression that since my TW heads were new, that the springs would be sufficient (TF says they're good to 540 lift?). Jayconvinced me that in order to be competetive,most head manufactures skimp on things like the valve springs, retainer & locks. He advised me that the factory springs on my TwistedWedge heads were not up to the task for the cam he was building, so another $179 formatching springs, and $40 for new spring cups, andmy valve train will be up to the task. I'll keep you posted on the specs once I get them. It sure would be more justifiable if I was building a new 347 instead of the stock block 302?. Looks like when it blows, I'll be building a 306 so I can use these same parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help, narrowed down to 2 cams