5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Possible Bad Syncronisers???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:37 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Default Possible Bad Syncronisers???

***Update****
Original Post:

OK, just for refference I have a Spec Stage 1 clutch.

About 2 weeks ago I had my rebuilt T-5 installed. After the install I noticed that everytime I shfted I'd hear a bit of a grinding noise, however it did this before so I figured it was normal for Spec. Anywho, now as time goes on I'm getting some weird problems. Now during idel, I'll sometimes get a clank.......clank.......clank noise, but it's not always even and is a little sperattic as to when it makes the noise. In other words, it doesn't make it all the time. The biggest kicker is that I've stalled 3 times now. I've stalled when throwing the clutch out from 5th gear to go to neutral (wait a red lights). I've also noticed at times when I through the clutch out the RPMs will drop below normal idel RPM level (probably causing the occasional stall).

Now does anybody has any ideas as to what the shop that installed my tranny did wrong so I can have it addressed. Also, any Spec owners out there have the light grinding sound problem. It doesn't do it in 1rst gear, only right after I shift and it dies out at around 1200 RPMs.

***New info***

OK I took the car to my local shop to get my Cobra brake kit installed, works great btw, so much better than stock. Anywho, I had them examine my clutch. They said that the clutch seems to be fine. They also said that the stalling may be caused by the speedo gear not working, so the engine thinks the car is at idel when it's really not, which may cause occasional stalling. They said that it may be one of the syncronisers in the tranny, but they're not sure as the guy that looked at it isn't a sertified tranny person. They reccommended that I take the car back to the tranny shop that installed it to get the correct advice. My question is, do you guys think it's prossible/probably that a rebuilt tranny would have these problems?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch Problem

First off it should never grind, could be clutch out of allignment, also sounds like the throwout bearing has a prob. Could have even been installed wrong
Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 AM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

they probably installed it wrong...
Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

OK, well I figured as much just wanted to know if it was anything specific. I'm going to bring it to my trusty shop tomorrow and have them take a loot at it as well as install my Cobra brake kit and fix my speedo.

By any chance do any of you think that the clutch just may flat out of been bad from the manufacturer?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

I've also noticed at times when I through the clutch out the RPMs will drop below normal idel RPM level (probably causing the occasional stall).
What are you saying here? You arein neutral with the clutch pedal down, you release it and it stalls?

Old 01-30-2008, 03:49 PM
stanguy306
2nd Gear Member

How many miles does your clutch haveon it? Also when your hearing that nosie at idle push in the clutch and if it goes away chances are throw out is bad....does your clutch engage really low? Like when you take off from a light you just have to let it out a hair and it starts going? Do you have an adjustable cable????
Old 01-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

my clutch egages realy low, is that a bad thing?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:48 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang8689

First off it should never grind, could be clutch out of allignment, also sounds like the throwout bearing has a prob. Could have even been installed wrong
I would have them check to TO tol
Old 01-30-2008, 10:39 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

OK, throwout bearing was replaced around 20K miles ago. Clutch was installed last october at around 20K miles ago.

I havn't noticed if it stops making the clanking noise during idel when I through the clutch out, I'll check that.

It only "stalls" when in gear. When I through the clutch out in idel, nothing, but if I'm in 3rd-5th gear and put the car in neutral, the RPMS fall to around 250 then bounce back up (never did that before). When shifting the RPMs used to hang a little, now they're more prone to droping earlier than I'd like them to.

Also, the grinding noise I get only occurs when shifting from 2nd-5th gear, doesn't do it in first. The higher the gear, the more pronounced the noise. It only does it after I let off the clutch pedal and the clutch "engauges" only makes the noise to around 1200 RPMs then rapidly dies. Sounds like a grinding stone grinding against steel is about the best description I can think of.

No I do not have an adjustable clutch cable, or at least to my knowledge I don't.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:05 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Default RE: Possible Bad Syncronisers???

New info.

Quick Reply: Possible Bad Syncronisers???