5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Set-up Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:45 PM
94gtbuilder
2nd Gear Member

Default Set-up Opinions

Alright Soo i've asked some questions around the forum and put a parts list together based on whatmyself and some of the nice people around the forumthought would work well together. I decided to go with Trickflow's Twisted Wedge Platform. I'll put an asterisk next to the parts included in the package and a link to the product itself below. Give me some feedback, and tell me if i missed anything. I'm sure I did. Thanks!

My Car is a 1994 Mustang GT. (5.0 Baby!)

Trickflow 360 HP Twisted Wedge Top Engine Kit for 5.0
http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail....p;autoview=sku

347 Stroker Kit
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Stage One

Gears: FRPP 3.73

Exaust: BBK Ceramic Longtube Headers, BBK High Flow 2.5' Short X-Pipe, DynoMax High Flow Cat, Mandrel Bent Piping, (Mufflers)Dual Borla Boomers (Thumper Series 4' Side Round)

Cold Air: JLT Cold Air Kit for 5.0 (Black)

Underdrive Pulleys: March Performance Ultra 2110 Clear Powdercoat Alluminum

MAF: PMAS (Pro Mass Air Systems) 75mm MAF w/ Black Powdercoat

TB: BBK 70mm Throttle Body

Water Pump: GMB High Performance Water Pump (What thermostat should I use?)

Note: I figured this pretty much covers all of the things I could get out of the way while I was saving up for the rest of the things I need for Stage 2. I already have a pretty decent Accel Ignition System in my stang which im gonna keep in there since most people seem to keep thier stock systems.

Stage 2

Block Modifacations: Bore 302 to 306, Stroke out to 347 w/ SCAT Engine Assemblies Stroker Kit (Link At Top of Post), Also machine work to prep for Paint.

Internals: (Trickflow Kit Parts have an asterisk beside them) Track Heat Intake*, Cam*, Timing Chain and Gears*, Gaskets*, Trickflow Twisted Wedge Heads*, Intake Valves*, Exaust Valves*, Valve Springs*, Damper Springs*, Retainers*, Locks*, Valve Stem Seals*, Rockers/Studs/Nuts*, Guideplates*, Push Rods*, Valve Covers*, Valve Guides/Seats*, Head Bolts*, Trick Flow Hydraulic Roller Lifters (Good Choice?), Throttle Body Adapter for Track Heat Intake.

Fuel Pump: Steeda 255 LPH Fuel Pump (Includes Filter)

Fuel Injectors: Steeda 42 pound Fuel Injectors

Fuel Regulator: Steeda Billit Fuel Pressure Regulator

Hoses: Russell Steel Braided Hoses and Fittings

Tuner: SCT Chip For 1994 Mustang GT

Clutch: King Cobra Clutch Kit

Suspension: Steeda G-Trac Suspension Paks Stages 1-4(http://www.steeda.com/products/suspension_paks.php)

As I said, I probably missed some things, or had some things on this list that might not be that great from someones personal expierience. If so, let me know. Stage 3 involves a supercharger, but Stage 3 may never happen. If it does though will this set-up support it? Just wondering. More concerned about whether or not my parts list is good or complete. Thanks again for everyones help putting this list together.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:11 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Set-up Opinions

sounds ok, but i'd do 4.10's , skip the pullies and spray 100 on it
Old 02-03-2008, 04:47 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

if your going to stroke it, starting off, first time motor, buy a built shortblock, its just a much as a shop local to do it, or cheaper. trust me on this one, i had to do it twice lol
fordstrokers.com i have heard nothing but good about them, but they are backed up right now.

if you stroke it, i would go against s/c that thing, wont take much on a h/c/i and a blower to crack the block.

the high flow water pump may cause so much water flow, there isnt enough water in the radiator and will suck the hose closed, it happened to a buddy of mine on his fox.
the stock pump will do fine, even for a stroker, my 331 has stock cooling system, only got hot once, around 200-210 degrees, i got worried at that point, and that was summer louisiana heat in traffic.

skip on the underdrives also.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:08 PM
94gtbuilder
2nd Gear Member

Ok so no underdrives,but why?How much is a stroked shortblock?Are you sure about the water pump?
Old 02-03-2008, 07:10 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

you def need to add in there some sticky tires...and when u say sct chip..do u mean a custom burnt chip from a dyno tuner?..cuz thats superior to a mail order chip...and u might wanna look into something a little more hi performance than a king cobra clutch...
Old 02-03-2008, 08:12 PM
94gtbuilder
2nd Gear Member

I figured as much on the clutch but a lot of people said thiers held up even with a pretty decent amount of horsepower, and yes a custom burnt SCT chip, and tires obviously. I just didnt add them as a part. I'll get some good ones when i get new wheels. I didnt include any of my cosmetic upgrades. Any more comments on the lack of new water pump?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:43 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

oh no....no king cobra, didn't see that

i hate it , and i am about 325 hp MAX at most

underdrives cause too many low voltage issues, they are worth a solid 10 hp, but not worth the hassles imo

dead batt's etc.

and for sure some mickey's
Old 02-03-2008, 09:59 PM
94gtbuilder
2nd Gear Member

Ok, so no underdrives. I dont want to have to deal with that ****. Any thoughts on the lifters i chose. I just put those on there because i thought they would pair well with the rest of the Trickflow setup. Also, any one have any of the suspension paks from Steeda?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

dont put the trickflow top end on a 347

no king cobra clutch
Old 02-04-2008, 12:01 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

ford hyd. lifters are fine.
the stock style water pump is fine, just get a new one.

i spent 2,100 at the machine shop this time and last time, same motor, but i put it together the first time w/ out checking crank endplay...big mistake!
anyways a brandnew short block from ford strokers is like $1,900, thats rotating assembly and all! i spent that ALONE with out the parts!!!

remember, a stroker motor needs a new balancer, 28oz, and a new flexplate/flywheel also 28oz
if you get a balancer that does not specifically say if it will work w/ out using a spacer, u will need .950 in spacer, mustangs unlimited had mine for 30bux, summit and jegs are back order for infinity. the spacer was ford racing.

Quick Reply: Set-up Opinions