5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

custom tune needed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: custom tune needed?

ORIGINAL: aode06

...tps response time ....

...This will make your car fun to drive, and produce at least 20% more power than you have.
Would you mind elaborating on tps response time?

Where did you come up with the 20% number???????

jason
Old 02-10-2008, 04:29 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

I have talked the two tuners in my area and both of them told me that a custom chip will only help drivabilty and not to expect any performance improvements. If horsepower increases that's a bonus but it is not expected. All I did on the dyno was optimize my timing and air fuel ratio which helped drivability. I would reccomend getting a dyno tune but not spending the extra $700+ on a custom chip. Just my opinion.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:49 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Your ecu comes programmed with certain parameters for how much air/fuel/spark it can deal with. Aftermarket mafs tuned for certain injectors fool the ecu, it is not ideal but it can sort of work. I'm not so sure about the 20% number from earlier but if you want all the power your setup has the potential for, and for it to drive down the road with decent manners and reasonable fuel economy, you need a chip. I used a moates chip and did it myself which was scary at first but not to bad after you have been at it for awhile. Another fringe benefit is that my check engine light stopped shining as I turned off the egr/emissions stuff in the ecu, so if it comes on now, there is something actually wrong. Your setup will need to be optimized via a tune/chip unless you like surging idle/reeking of gas/stalling at stoplights etc.

Matt
Old 02-10-2008, 11:06 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

I don't have any of those problems. I get 15-16 mpg which isn't the best but it's not bad. It doesn't surge, smell like gas, or stall. I did have some idle issues but I fixed that with a $40 IAC bypass plate from 50 resto. I do agree that a custom chip would make his fuel curve flat as a pancake and help him with idling if that is a big problem but for the amount of money I just don't think he will see that much benefit. If he's adding a power adder then that's another story all together, but N/A I don't think it's necessary. Just my opinion.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:15 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

So your car has a controlled vacumn leak to correct an idle issue, does not get good mileage and you maintain proper tuning is not needed? My tune cost me 165 dollars and quite a bit of reading forums here and there so I could learn enough to get the job done. Money well spent in my book. When I have more cash I will purchase a tweecer rtand really pull the most out of my car, that will pull the cash total up to a tad over 700 bucks which incidentally is 300 bucks less then getting my car tuned once locally.

Matt
Old 02-10-2008, 11:23 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

I knew someone was going to be on here saying I make more power and get better mileage. What kind of power is your car making, what's you combo? Very good, controlled vacuum leak, I like that.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:56 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

I actually do not have as serious a build as you and I needed a tune. My car (depending on driver and I'm kinda iffy) is capable of 12 flat at best IMO. I have world heads cobra intakes etc, the usual stuff. My comments were not about my car being faster/better, just more efficient. For example you appear to have a slightly faster car than me, however I get close to 25 mpg and I'm sure when I can tune better via datalogging that 25 will be a reality. As far as the controlled vacumn leak, I consider any air that enters the engine that is not metered to be a vacumn leak. I think your car would be faster still if it was tuned better.

Matt
Old 02-11-2008, 02:01 AM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

It actually is metered, it's air going through the mass air sensor, it's just bypassing the IAC. I see both sides of the coin and I'm not against it but my dyno operator told me that with a N/A car there isn't much to gain. I trust him but I went ahead and called the other tuner in my area and he told me the exact same thing. I'd rather save that $700 and put towards a set of 185s.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:36 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Not sure how air that comes in behind the IAC is metered by the MAF but I'm not going to argue about it.

Matt
Old 02-12-2008, 02:40 PM
sgt2278

some idle surge when first starts, may or may not die. no problem after.

Quick Reply: custom tune needed?