5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Scat or Eagle rotating assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:29 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Default Scat or Eagle rotating assembly?

Hello to all! I've almost got enough money to purchase my stroker kit, btu I am unsure of what to buy. I am on a VERY limited budget. I can get an Eagle kit with 60 over hypereutectic pistons, a cast crank, and 5140 forged steel rods. The kit also comes with a new flexplate and harmonic balancer and is balanced. It runs only $999.95. OR... I could go with a scat kit that includes a series 9000 cast crank, forged rods, and forged pistons. It also comes with a flexplate adn balancer, and is also balanced. The only thing is that it costs $1211. Which kit is better for the money? I will not be running nitrous, but the car will see the strip every now and then. Also, my rev limiter will be set at 6500 rpm.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:41 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Scat or Eagle rotating assembly?

A good popular engine builder I have had dealings with suggest a Scat set for the "budget" kits, over Eagle.

Link.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

try probe too..as a possible choice
Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

I think I'm going to stick with scat or eagle. I can get them with a smal warranty form Jegs. Which of these would be better for me?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:08 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

oh and you think because it has a warranty that it'll be better???? better read the fine print...warranty is a sales gimic...try cashing that in when the motor goes kabooooooooom...ain't gonna happen...there is no such thing as warranty on high performance parts..only initial defects upon arrival and your close inspection and or awarness to such......
Old 02-22-2008, 11:13 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Oh really huh? No warranty? I guess thats why I just got a cam warrantied from jegs because the lobes rounded off. The only thing I had to do was call them and get then ship it back. They wil be sending the replacement next week. Sounds like a warranty to me. Yes it only lasts for like 90 days after purchase date, but none the less, it is a warranty. Didn't say that a warranty made them better, but Name brand parts are better than off brands in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: tyler72

Oh really huh? No warranty? I guess thats why I just got a cam warrantied from jegs because the lobes rounded off. The only thing I had to do was call them and get then ship it back. They wil be sending the replacement next week. Sounds like a warranty to me. Yes it only lasts for like 90 days after purchase date, but none the less, it is a warranty. Didn't say that a warranty made them better, but Name brand parts are better than off brands in my opinion.
so you think Probe is off brand ehh??? sounds like you got no clue what your talking about and you'd better do a little more research and as far as the cam warranty..I'd never of given you one...seems like the person was to stupid to realize what causes cam lobes to round off!!!! 9 times out of ten...valvetrain was set up improperly or a defect in your oiling system ..so explain to me oh great wise one that cam lobes rounding off is a manufactorers fault if the metal is properly hardened??.......sounds like a screw up on the assembley end of the block[&:]
Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Dude F*CK you! Your just an *******! yes I have heard of them, but I don't want probe. Sounds to me like someones been doing some probing on your backside. Maybe thats why your so sore on this subject. Just FYI, the cam was et up exactly to the Manufacturers recomendations, and was broken in exactly as it was recomended. It was the cam itself, and was not hardened properly. The engine only had 5000 miles on it when the cam was installed, and had never had an oiling issue. The oil pump had been working flawlessly for those 5000 miles, so there was no problem there. The only reason I am doing the stroker is because when the cam rounded off, the metal filings got in the oil pump and ate it up, along with all the bearings and crank journals. You have no right to tell me I don't know what I'm doing. You have never met me, and know absolutly nothing about me. I have been a mechanic for all of my life, and have built numerous engines of all types. Trust me, I know how to put in a cam and break it in properly. Now, if you can give me advice on a Scat or Eagle, then feel free to, otherwise, leave this thread alone.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:34 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

pleas kid grow up..and watch your language your failure to conduct yourself in a civilaized manner and to have an open mind says alot about your character....and noone expecially me cares who you are , who you think you are and for that matter who you think you'd rather be...and you don't know me nor have you ever met me so keep your abnoxious language to yourself and away from my virgin ears oh and if you didn't notice FYI..htis is a public forum not private ..if you don't know how to evaluate constructive criticism it's you who need to go else where.....just remember one thing!! who's the one asking the questions around here and who's answering them!!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:47 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, you didn't answer my question, so you need not say anything about that. Oh, and saying that I installed a part wrong which caused it to fail when you don't know the whole story, or saying that I don't know what I am doing isn't constructive critism. It is ignorance. You think that since youve got that Tech certified logo on your name that you're better than everybody and you know more.

Quick Reply: Scat or Eagle rotating assembly?