5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Better rear axles???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:57 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

Default Better rear axles???

Well, I'm running stock rear axles and differential. I'm planning on supercharging my ride soon, and figure I need to strengthen the rear. I'm thinking 31 spline mosers with auburn posi, but then again I don't know anything about rear end stuff. Any help here???
Old 02-23-2008, 07:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Better rear axles???

my friend had bad luck with the auburn trac lock set up...after 30 burn outs the one wheel peel occured.....he went to a detroit tru-trac after that..and no probs since.....but 31 spline are a good upgrade and matching diff unit... a axle girdle cover is another way to beef up rear end....depending on power to rear.....you can weld the tubes to housing to prevent twist/ spin of tubes
Old 02-23-2008, 07:44 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

If your car is not a daily driver you could consider a spool. I have 31 spline strange axle's,moser spool, mac girdle, c-clip elem., and by axle tubes are welded as well.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:47 PM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

OTOH, if you car is NOT strip only, you really don't want a spool.

I use a Torsen differential in my '93. They must be rare as I've never seen another poster on this or any other forum who uses the Torsen. It's been really durable for me. It's been in since the Fall of 2000 with no problems at all.

http://www.torsen.com/index.htm

You mentioned supercharging your car as a reason for upgrading your rear end. I owned an '88 GT that was a Vortech blower car. WC T5 with a 3.73 standard Ford traction lock. After a while I discovered that it no longer "locked". I went with an Auburn. Never had a problem with it in almost three years. Just a standard 28 spline C clip setup. I did not run slicks or even really big street tires on the car, just 275/50s, so didn't put huge loads on the axles. How well your rear end setup will hold up will depend a lot on how you drive the car and how sticky rubber you run.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:30 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Moser stuff I think is about the best out there for the money.
You are certainly right about beefing the rear end. Ford made thee 8.8's with the idea of a 220HP or so car on small street tires....
Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

well it will not be a daily driver when i get the blower in it, but it will see a lot of street driving. So would moser or strange 31 spline and a detroit trutrac with c clip eliminators do about right???
Old 02-23-2008, 10:41 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

That set-up would be fine. You might want to think about the c-clip elem. though. They will leak. I have a small leak on driver's side now. It's a very small leak, not enough for me to pull the axle yet. I'm not sure but i have thought that maybe since i have a full spool it might put more stress on them idk. Get your axle tube's welded also.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:00 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I'm running 31 spline Moser axles with a FRPP 31 spline diff out of an '03 Cobra, so far I have no complaints and I think it was a good choice for the price. As I add more power we'll see how it holds up, but it seems to do well in high HP Terminators.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:07 AM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

are you running the Auburn or the Track-lok???
Old 02-24-2008, 08:19 AM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

i have moser axels and im using c-clip elims. no leaks either. cant remember what locker im using right now though. im also using this for daily driver. my only complaint about my build is MPG lol

Quick Reply: Better rear axles???