5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

FIXED....new question arrises though...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:08 PM
DoctorD415
2nd Gear Member

Default FIXED....new question arrises though...

Alright, well i just got my car back together, but can get it started back up. Its an 85 GT. 302 carburated. I have fuel getting into the carb, took the line off and made sure it had good pressure going in and it looks good to me. Have the vaccumm lines connected and i had just recently put an electric choke on, but had no problem with doing that.Now when i start the car it cranks over and over, but i just can get it to completely fire up.

Now timing is pretty close if not exact, so i can sort of eliminate that. I had the #1 cylinderat TDC and the rotors on 1.

When i press the gas while turning the carover itwill sputter up a bit more and want to start, and the faster i press the gas the more it wants to start and start, so it leads me to beleive its a fuel issue

Also if i poor a bit of gas into the carb, it will fire up nice for a few secondsthen die backdown to the whining crank type deal. (another hint towards fuel?)

Also last time i was cranking i put my food down the gas and left it there and the carb shot out some flames and backfired on me, so i think its definitly flooded now?

What should i do next? Fuel squirts from carb when the linkage is pulled. What else in the carb could be causing this problem, anything? Any ideas
Old 02-26-2008, 03:17 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: cars not starting....lets see whos good....

ORIGINAL: DoctorD415

When i press the gas while turning the carover itwill sputter up a bit more and want to start, and the faster i press the gas the more it wants to start and start, so it leads me to beleive its a fuel issue
get the dizzy back to the number one cyl, and make sure the balancer is at TDC/0

TURN THE BALANCER CLOCKWISE TO 10, Reposition the dizzy to number one.

Fire her up , you want 10* not TDC/0 ON #1 CYL
Old 02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I know this isn't what you want to hear since your sure it's right. But it sounds like a timing problem.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Put that big socket back on and do your thing, 5.0's do not like running at TDC after rebuilds alot of times, Ive come to find lol, in fact all kind of retarded stuff happens after rebuilds like no spark, fuel issues, etc. Its sick

Yesterday, I set this dude's TPS and the coil pack stop working. Replaced the coil pack and he was back running[:'(]
Old 02-26-2008, 03:27 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

sounds like your timing is off, your harmonic balancer may be spun which would throw your timing off, also aode08 correct me if im wrong but dont you want 0* tdc with the dizzy at #1 not 10*with thedizzy at #1
Old 02-26-2008, 03:33 PM
DoctorD415
2nd Gear Member

alright, well im a little confused here? Is this what i should do...turn the motor till the number one cylinder is at top. Then loosen the distributor and turn it until the rotor is pointing to the number 1 plug. Then what do i do with the harmonic balancer? When i replaced the balancer it could only slide on one way, so how could that be wrong? Should i turn the motor till its on a cerating mark 1 or 10? then make sure the rotors pointing to the 1 plug?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:44 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

alright, well im a little confused here? Is this what i should do...turn the motor till the number one cylinder is at top dead center-the rotor button will be pointing at the number one plug.

Turn clockwise on the balancer to 10, reposition the rotor button to 1cylinder again

now your are at 10* btdc
Old 02-26-2008, 03:58 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

the balancer has a rubber lining in the middle that is where it slips and yes there is only one way it goes on but it could still be spun, what you need to do is take your #1 plug out wait till it gets to tdc and look at your harmonic balancer to see if its at 0* to the timing pointer, also aode08 correct me if im wrong but dont you want 0* to the timing pointer and the dizzy to #1not 10*

edit: isint it suposed to be 0* on the harmonic balancer than dizzy to #1 than with a timing light you turn the dizzy to 10* arent you suposed tot ime it with the dizzy not the balancer..

alright, well im a little confused here? Is this what i should do...turn the motor till the number one cylinder is at top. Then loosen the distributor and turn it until the rotor is pointing to the number 1 plug. Then what do i do with the harmonic balancer? When i replaced the balancer it could only slide on one way, so how could that be wrong? Should i turn the motor till its on a cerating mark 1 or 10? then make sure the rotors pointing to the 1 plug?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:09 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

After rebuilds many foxes will not start at 0 tdc.

Usually you will have the harmonic dampner pointing at 0 TDC and the rotor button pointing at the number one wire, THEN SET THE TIMING TO 10 with a timing light.

But since your car dont want to start at 0 TDC, you set it to 10 BTDC, without the light to get her running first.

After running, recheck , spout out, timing light on number one plug wire.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:13 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

But it could also be a spun balancer

Quick Reply: FIXED....new question arrises though...