5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How much weight did we get rid of?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Yenko

Default How much weight did we get rid of?

My brother-in-law and I started ripping Project Mustang apart to get it ready for the life of the 1/8 mile. Here's a few pics of the before and after demolition part.

I have more pics, but these seem the most relavent to my quesitons. I have taken the brake pedal assembly and the steering column out since these last pics. We are going to reinstall the dash and dash bracket/brace back along with the brake assembly back, but the rest of the junk is not going back. I stripped the column apart and have the bare esstantials left on it. After we weld the frame connectors and roll cage back in we will reinstall the dash, console, and all of the interior plastic. So how much weight did we reduce? Dash guts, sound dampning, carpet, wiring harness, seats, and the other stuff that I can't remember.

If your wondering we are going to mini-tub it using either wolferacecraft.com or teamzmotorsports.net stuff, also going to get a new tubular K-Member, coil-over kit, lower control arms, and manuel rack and pinion. Just wondering how much weight we yanked out of that thing, I know for one thing, the dumpster man was a little ticked off by the mountian load of stuff on top of the dumpster. Another thing, how much does the rear hatch and glass weigh?

Thanks a ton

Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 PM
notchbackmatt87
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How much weight did we get rid of?

why would you not sell the stuff and throw it out? and the hatch glass prollie weights a good 20 pounds not 100% shure.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Yenko

Busted out windows caused it to rain inside of it, ruined the carpet and seats. If you noticed where the rear passengers feet would sit you can see the surface rust. The AC and Heater box was busted up from what looked like a heater core replacement. Got this car from the storage unit across the street, gave $300 for it. I did keep the air bag from the steering wheel, don't know if I could get rid of it or not.

Does that answer your comment?

BTW, if you notice the door panels you wil notice how junky they look.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:21 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

tough guess.....honestly i don't think you ditched too much after you put back in everything you need.

the only basic weights i know of sure are sway bars and acc. deletes

both sway bars are good for -40lbs
smog and ac delete is another -40

there are some inner bumper supports you can ditch , not sure of the weight though

manual rack is a good one, and you already stated your gonna do a tubular k

when it's all done i'd say your looking at -200 lbs (from a 5.0 car.....technically your probably gonna be right at the same weight as were b4 after the 5.0 goes in it.)

an lx hatch 5-speed weighs about 3250-3350 w/ 1/2 tank and no driver depending on acc's and assuming it's mostly empty

just remember if your racing anything specific you might need to minimum 2900-3000 lbs.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Yenko

Thanks Bob, we're going to get rid of the bumper supports for sure. Weight is not really a big issue, though we would like to get rid of everything that we aren't going to need. I still wan't it to look as "stock" as possible, that's the reason for reinstalling the dash and interior plastics. I think it makes it look better. The door said 3800 or something like that, I knew it couldn't weight that much though. Hate to say it on this board, but it's going to get a small block Chevrolet and a Powerglide. Already got an 8.8 for the rear though. Mainly a bracket car, so staying a certain weight it not that critical.

I already have a backhalfed 72 Nova that still has the door panels and carpet, but we have an aluminum dash for it. So many spare parts for a Chevrolet, it's hard to go away from that.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:49 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

the best weight savings

-Air Pump

-Air Conditioning

-Power Steering to Manual Rack

- Power Steering Pump

- Remove Hatch and Glass, Replace with racing net or fiberglass hatch and plexi glass window.

-Metal to Fiber Glass Hood

-all seats out, 1 Racing Seat

-remove carpet, undercoat the floor out and in.

-change to alum rims

-change to alum driveshaft

-scrap stock exhaust for off road h or x aluminum

youll be shocked how much you can get for weight reduction and TRACTION TOGETHER
Old 02-26-2008, 10:03 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

then you'll be set

http://www.darkhorseracing.net

Old 02-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Yenko

I know we aren't going to put fiberglass doors on it, it's nice to be able to roll those windows down while coming up the return road on those hot summer days. Hoods going to happen and maybe the hatch, the front end if we can scrounge up the coin towards the end of the project. No exhaust, just headers, but undercoating the floor inside and underneath will also happen.

Thanks again
Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

tubular k member

racing steering wheel
Old 02-26-2008, 11:12 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

start running a couple miles a day

Quick Reply: How much weight did we get rid of?