5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

new heads!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:29 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: new heads!!

ORIGINAL: moterhead

ORIGINAL: PJC Racing

I have Edelbrocks on my '93 LX. BUT, they were instlled when the build was done, in the Fall of 2000. That's seven years ago. Things may have changed a bunch in that length of time. I know mine are still just fine.
And how do you know this? Have youdisassemble, inspected, and measured them ever? I bet you won't be saying they are just fine when and if you do.
And how do you know their not? The car runs just fine. BTW, you must have be taking ******* lessons from adder.
Humm... *******, That's nice. I gave reasons, from experience, why I beleive there are problems with Edelbrock 5.0/5.8 and RPM heads, what did you provide? I have them on my car and theyare justfine. And you compaired them to what? Have you inspected them, I guess not. Why you take this personal I don't know, but I venture to guess that you have been challenged and corrected before. Must have been from adder, who seems to know what he is talking about on this forum.

So explain how you know what the quality of the valve train parts are in those just fine heads of yours. I might be an *******, but you are not as performance head savvy as you think, a$$clown.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

easy there PJC..... everyones experience with any kind or manufactorer out there in the market is different!! heck.. I bought some of the early AFR castings back in 2001 and let me tell you AFR has really got there act together since but the stock components were literally shyt!! 3 years ago I had a prob with the springs and pockets after talking extensively with ED Curtis no one made spring locators to fit the pockets so I could use the correct springs for my 282 hr cam.. and let me tell ya the 986 that comp reccommends weren't sufficient and for the smaller 272hr they reccommennd the same springs...wtf?? anyway since then I've had to upgrade as you too the entire valvetrain and cut the pockets... the heads are wonderful now and have been for the past 2 years since all upgrades including studs that snapped........as for EDELBROCK just as you have a story to support your claims I to have one to refute it but don't take it the wrond way I'm not trying to be rude....I have a customer that has a 68 cougar runs high 12's on rpm heads with 1.90/1.60 and a f-cam and has all out of the box valvetrain and has close to no joke 400 passes on it.. they race points with it and after each race they bring it to me even though all is good to go over it....and I've had to pull covers numerous times just for inspection purposes and valvetrain is in 100 percent tip top shape......what I'm saying is we all have different experiences with the pats we run... how come my buddy has such **** poor luck with same parts and I have such good luck??......sometimes it just happens that way... anyway I'm not trying to be rude just trying to look at it from a diff perspective
Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

mjr46, I don'tthink your post as rude at all. You provide explanations through experience. As for motorhead, he came out swinging when I asked how he knew his heads were "fine".

Back to heads, I still have the RPM's and I replaced all of the parts and had to have the pockets enlarged for the cups, just as you did. Now that all of the parts are replaced, they are good heads. My point is, there are better heads out there that come with the right parts to start with. Those RPM's cost me $1100 new and $500 in new parts and machining. For $1600 I could have had a better head.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:17 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: PJC Racing

mjr46, I don'tthink your post as rude at all. You provide explanations through experience. As for motorhead, he came out swinging when I asked how he knew his heads were "fine".

Back to heads, I still have the RPM's and I replaced all of the parts and had to have the pockets enlarged for the cups, just as you did. Now that all of the parts are replaced, they are good heads. My point is, there are better heads out there that come with the right parts to start with. Those RPM's cost me $1100 new and $500 in new parts and machining. For $1600 I could have had a better head.
I agree with ya I paid 1300 for my afr out of the box and when you start going wilder on the cam past 550 lift....it requires money.....heck I have over 2000.00 in my afr's now!! I even had them decked...well that was a stupid fault of my own!!! I forgot to clean them after removal..left coolant dripping all over surface after removal and put them in a box ... 6 month later.... fu.........k.......dang pitted surface and corroded ports[:'(].....ya live and learn...but yeah I catch your drift and agree!!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 PM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

PJCracing and MJR46, I never claimed to be a performance head expert. I simply reported that my car runs fine with the Edelbrocks and has done so since the Fall of 2000. I also said that things may have changed since that time. Big company products tend to degrade in quality as time goes by. I resented your obvious attitude in your challenging response. NO, I haven't taken my car apart to measure things. Why should I? As I said, it runs just fine. Great power, smooth idle, even with an E303 cam, good fuel mileage. It ain't broke so why should I fix it. I'm done with this thread so don't waste your time in responding to this post.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:49 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

PJCracing and MJR46, I never claimed to be a performance head expert. I simply reported that my car runs fine with the Edelbrocks and has done so since the Fall of 2000. I also said that things may have changed since that time. Big company products tend to degrade in quality as time goes by. I resented your obvious attitude in your challenging response. NO, I haven't taken my car apart to measure things. Why should I? As I said, it runs just fine. Great power, smooth idle, even with an E303 cam, good fuel mileage. It ain't broke so why should I fix it. I'm done with this thread so don't waste your time in responding to this post.
^^^^^^easy there!! I was supporting your claim.. I'm not ripping on you.....I have a lot of edelbrock customers with no probs.. all is good.. if your car runs fine keep it up!!....ALL pjc and I were talking about is when we pushed the limits of the factory hardware we had to upgrade.. in your case you'll be fine.. no offense intended
Old 02-29-2008, 11:05 PM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FLcracker9

ORIGINAL: 89mustangfive0

im probably going trick flow being that they come with everything minus the rockers..but i wont be running a monster lift cam probably somehting int he 520 530 range at most i wanna get a custom cam
89mustangfive0, I am going the same route. I already have a set of brand new Trick Flows, and I went with acustom cam from Jay Allen (cam was actually shipped today). If you go that route, let me tell you what I ran into. The custom cam builders that I talked to, advised methat even though the TF springs are rated to .540 lift, they are made of substandard material to keep cost down (same goes for most aftermarket heads I was told). They will gladly grind a cam for you, but advise you that unless you match the springs to the cam, you will not get the full benefit from the cam. Like PJC Racing said, Jay strongly advised me to upgrade the springs, retainers, spring cups and locks, whether I purchase them from him or not. I'm not a cam expert, but he was able to convince me to do the upgrade. I received the retainers, cups and locks yesterday, directly from Comp Cams, and Jay is shipping the cam and matching springs. Again, I'm not an expert,but Jaywas pretty convincing.He explained it like this: matching the springs to the cam, can make the difference between havinga potentialhigh 11 something second car, that only runs 12s, and not knowing why your buddy can run 11s with a similar combo.
thanks mann now im thinking baout just grabbing some bare heads and doing them all the correct way according tot he custom cam i want...how much did it cost for a custom cam im trying to get an idea thanks mannnn
Old 02-29-2008, 11:54 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

man, now im thinking about the DART, especially for $320a head
Old 02-29-2008, 11:59 PM
jperz89lx
2nd Gear Member

haha wow you guys, i didnt know my post would stir up all that trouble[&:]oh well im pretty positive im goin with these dart heads so yea...thanks guys
Old 03-01-2008, 12:13 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89mustangfive0
thanks mann now im thinking baout just grabbing some bare heads and doing them all the correct way according tot he custom cam i want...how much did it cost for a custom cam im trying to get an idea thanks mannnn
This is very smart IMO. As for the custom cam cost, Camshaft Innovations goes for $400 on a billet core and $299 SADI core. The recommendation will be to go with billet to stand up to abuse and high spring pressures if so needed. And most cam grinders will be able to supply you with the proper valve train for the heads. Now I know this sounds like alot for a cam but the power and drivablity will be unmached when compared to $200-$300 Off The Sheft (OTS)cam.

Quick Reply: new heads!!