5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

BRAKE UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Ridinsidewayz
1st Gear Member

Default BRAKE UPGRADE

I'm looking to upgrade my factory brake system. I want a track worthy set up without having to spend 2-3 g's. I'm familiar with almost all of the conversions out there, but I can't seem to find much specificly made for the fox body. If anyone has done an upgrade they can share with me, what you did how and where you got the parts and how well the setup worked. Any info you could share would be awesome. What I've been thinking of doing is the sn95 rear setup (axels calipers and brackets) with vented slotted rotors, performance pads, braided lines 93 cobra master cylinder with 3-2 port conversion and a proportioning valve. As for the front I'm looking at keeping the stock spindles and getting 5 lug vented slotted rotors performance pads braided lines and svo calipers unless there are better calipers that will bolt up to the stock spindles. I wouldn't mind going with larger discs up front and bigger calipers, but that's where it starts to get really expensive. So if anyone has done a similar conversion and can share any info with me on what else I might need and how well it worked I would appreciate it.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: BRAKE UPGRADE

what you have planned sounds like a good budget set up..after that pucker the cheaks cause it'll start to bend you over the fence for a real trick set up
Old 02-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

I slightly disagree... I would, and plan to (and have some of the parts) do a SN-95 Cobra front setup. It's not big money and its way better than the Fox based stuff.

In fact, our approaches are almost totally opposite. I don't want the added width of the SN-95 rear disc, so I'm up in the air out back. Short term plan is bigger drums on the extreme cheap.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Ridinsidewayz
1st Gear Member

I just really don't care for drum brakes. It also looks better with discs. I know thats kinda dumb, but looks does matter a little. I don't know of any other way to go 5 lug in the rear other that with th sn95 axels, do you? I don't mind the .75" width difference because the wheels I plan to use are a 17x9 with a 45mm offset so they should clear nicely. As far as the cobra kits up front they cost quite a bit more that the svo calipers and 11" slotted rotors