5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starts then immediately dies.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Default Starts then immediately dies.

I converted to Mass Air yesterday, the car started right up and ran for 10 minutes. I got in to drive it, and when I gave it gas it started to stall. So I pulled back into the driveway, it died. Now it will fire and run for just about a second and then die. Giving it gas does nothing. Almost like it's not getting a signal from the MAF. I've checked all the wiring, everything is plugged in, there aren't any vacuum leaks that I can find. I'm at a loss. It ran perfectly when it was SD.

Any ideas?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:00 AM
stang11

Default RE: Starts then immediately dies.

What about the mass air sensor calibrated correctly with the injectors? I know that can cause major issues. Alsoonce a wire came loose on my mass air once, the car ran, kinda had a loping idle, but when i got on it hard it would die. I realize you checked the wires but just fyi. Plus test the tps, make sure that is set correctly.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:12 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

did you remember to remove the vac line from the MAP sensor, and plug the line
Old 03-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

I guess I need to find another MAF just to eliminate that being the problem. Adder, I did unplug the MAP.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
stang11

Well is it a stock sensor? these are calibrated for 19lb injectors (stock injectors). What size injectors do you have?Was it a used sensor, maybe it's dirty.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

It's a stock MAF. It's supposedly new. It looks new, and is in perfect condition. It was given to me, so I don't know if it had a problem or not. It's not the MAF I intend to use anyway. I just threw it in there to get the car running and was going to pick up a Pro-M this week. Regardless, I still have the 19lb injectors. Even still, a mismatched MAF and injectors will still start and idle.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:49 AM
stang11

Not in every case. I was curious about that and dropped on my mass air sensor on my wifes car. Mine calibrated for30 lb injectors and hers completely stock. The car would start then die. Similiar to what yours is doing.

Good move going with pro-m. I just bought a new sensor from them, the guyknew a lot and was very helpful. Give them a call and ask them about this. They may be able tohelp you with this problem.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 AM
stang11

Just curious. unplug your tps sensor and see if it changes anything. This is mainly for me (not to be selfish) but i posted a thread yesterday about a surgingidle when cold. It's my wifes car and i'm thinking the mass air sensor is bad. when i unplug my tps the car runs perfect. Weird! does not make sence to me. I'm just curious if the tps and the mass air have direct connections with each other.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: stang11

Just curious. unplug your tps sensor and see if it changes anything. This is mainly for me (not to be selfish) but i posted a thread yesterday about a surgingidle when cold. It's my wifes car and i'm thinking the mass air sensor is bad. when i unplug my tps the car runs perfect. Weird! does not make sence to me. I'm just curious if the tps and the mass air have direct connections with each other.
I did that yesterday. I unplugged just about everything trying to isolate the problem. It didn't make a difference.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Bullitt91
2nd Gear Member

did u change the computer?

Quick Reply: Starts then immediately dies.