5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

UH OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:37 PM
jawilla

Default UH OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALRIGHTY, 1968 MUSTANG WITH 87 ROLLER MOTOR, COMP 274 CAM AND LITTLE VARIABLES HERE AND THERE. WAS STOLEN FROM ME BUT NOW RECOVERED. GOT IT RUNNING AND TODAY I NOTICED THE TEMP GAUGE SKYROCKETING. I PULLED INTO A PARTS STORE AND BOUGHT SOME COOLANT, WAITED TILL THE ENGINE COOLED DOWN AND FILLED IT BACK UP WITH COOLANT AND WATER. GOT HOME IT DID THE SAME THING. PULLED THE OIL DIPSTICK AND WATER IN THE OIL..????? IS IT HEADS OR IS IT BLOCK.. KEY THING GUYS, THE CAR... RAN PERFECT-- NO SKIPPING OR STUDDERING OR ANYTHING JUST WATER IN THE OIL AND THE ENGINE GETS HOT....PLEASE HELP BECAUSE THE INSURANCE IS TALKING ABOUT TOTALING MY CAR CAUSE ITS GONNA COST 3800.00 TO FIX THIS LITTLE DEAL
Old 03-06-2008, 04:44 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Default RE: UH OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Change the oil and see if the water still gets into the pan, change the thermostat, and do a compression check. Glad you got your car back with that being the only problem. The really drove it like that stole it.......cause they did.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a head gasket, which was the problem on my first fox a 89 gt.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:01 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Could be a head gasket, could be a head itself, could be the block. I would run a compression check and see if a cylinder is down, pull the head(s) and look for signs that a head gasket went bad. If I didn't see anything obvious, I would have the head(s)checked at a machine shop (magnafluxed) for cracks.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:43 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Do a Compression test first. That should tell you if you have a bad head gaskets and where at.

Let us know what you find.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:39 PM
jawilla

YEAH FIRST THINGS FIRST IS A LEAK DOWN TEST. THEN PULL INTAKE AND HEADS AND SEE IF GASKETS ARE BLOWN. THING IS THAT MY MECHANIC, (SCOTT MILNER WITH COUPE PERFORMANCE) ASKED ME IF THE CAR RAN OKAY. IT DID, NO SKIPPING OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT, WHICH MEANS NO WATER IN THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER, WHICH MEANS HEADS AND INTAKE ARE PROBABLY OKAY, HES LEANING TOWARD CRACKED BLOCK , THAT BEING WORST CASE SCENARIO.

I WISH I COULD GET THE CHECK FOR WORST CASE SCENARIO AND IT END UP BEING SOMETHING LAME LIKE AN INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET.!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:21 AM
boof1027
2nd Gear Member

My last motor had a crack in the cylinder wall and it did not affect performance at all. It did however mix water into the oil. Made my synthetic look like banana pudding.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:46 AM
StangfreakGTS

ORIGINAL: jawilla

ALRIGHTY, 1968 MUSTANG WITH 87 ROLLER MOTOR, COMP 274 CAM AND LITTLE VARIABLES HERE AND THERE. WAS STOLEN FROM ME BUT NOW RECOVERED. GOT IT RUNNING AND TODAY I NOTICED THE TEMP GAUGE SKYROCKETING. I PULLED INTO A PARTS STORE AND BOUGHT SOME COOLANT, WAITED TILL THE ENGINE COOLED DOWN AND FILLED IT BACK UP WITH COOLANT AND WATER. GOT HOME IT DID THE SAME THING. PULLED THE OIL DIPSTICK AND WATER IN THE OIL..????? IS IT HEADS OR IS IT BLOCK.. KEY THING GUYS, THE CAR... RAN PERFECT-- NO SKIPPING OR STUDDERING OR ANYTHING JUST WATER IN THE OIL AND THE ENGINE GETS HOT....PLEASE HELP BECAUSE THE INSURANCE IS TALKING ABOUT TOTALING MY CAR CAUSE ITS GONNA COST 3800.00 TO FIX THIS LITTLE DEAL
first things first...you don't have to yell.

my '91 had all the same symptoms and i thought it must be a head gasket but it ended being an intake gasket.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:00 PM
jawilla

in that 91 mustang with the intake manifold problem, did your car run different at all, like skipping and such?