5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Turn Signal Flasher Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 06:50 PM
mustang4eva
2nd Gear Member

Default Turn Signal Flasher Help

I still cannot find it... Can someone plz tell me how to get the instrument panel reinforcment off? Its right above the fuse box and right under the steering column, I took the screws out but Its pretty stuck on. Should I just use brute strength? I have to believe that some of you guys have changed your turn signal flasher before...ANY HELP PLZ GUYZ, thx
Old 04-06-2005, 06:52 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Turn Signal Flasher Help

pulls right out..
Old 04-06-2005, 06:55 PM
mustang4eva
2nd Gear Member

Ok cool thx vfast, if I brake it ill send you the bill...j/k
Old 04-06-2005, 11:05 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

The turn signal flasher is not located in the fuse box...or anywhere near the fuse box.

It's located up under the dash, just to the right of the center hump.
If you were Superman, sit in the drivers seat and stare at the heater controls. With your x-ray vision, you would "see" the flasher behind the control *****. Now crawl in from the passenger side, and look up under the dash. It will be "mounted" on a metal dash support. When I say "mounted", I mean "mounted". It has a plastic knub on it that's pressed into the metal, making it a royal pain in the *** to remove. But it can be done if you pull hard enough. I replaced it with a more "normal" flasher.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:26 AM
87 hatch
2nd Gear Member

WHATS THIS ABOUT SUPERMAN YOU COULDNT BE MORE WRONG...

THERE ARE NO SCREWS TO TAKE OUT TO GET TO THE FLASHER/FUSE PANEL. IT IS JUST A LITTLE DOOR THAT YOU CAN PULL RIGHT OFF. IT IS LOCATED TO THE SEFT OF THE STEERING COLUMN RIGHT WHERE YOUR LEFT KNEE WOULD HIT. ON THE BOTTOM OF THE LITTLE DOOR IS A HANDLE LIKE THING, THAT IS WHERE YOU PULL FROM.

MY CAR DOESNT EVEN HAVE A FLASHER RELAY IN IT AND IT STILL FLSHES, JUST REALY SLOW.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:47 AM
mustang4eva
2nd Gear Member

That is the fuse box cover yea...My car did not come with one so my fuse box is exposed at all times. The hazard flasher is just fine and very very very easy to get to, because its in the fusebox...The other one however I think changes from year to year or something because so far I've had 3-4 different places where im told they could be. I sat looking all day for the damn thing. I might have a solution. The previous owner installed a theft proof electric card device thing and its right where I think the signal flasher should be, is there any way he switched wires to do this or is that not possible?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:26 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I doubt that any anti-theft device would require you to disable the turn signal flasher, so I would continue looking for a round metal or plastic thingy tucked up under the dash somewhere. or look for a wiring connector hanging loose with nothing plugged into it, that could be where the flasher goes and someone just removed it and didn't replace it.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:25 PM
mustang4eva
2nd Gear Member

Wow this is really weird Its no where, looked all morning...Im going to go to ford today later and make them find it for me. I called them, and one tech guy said it was directly behind ( mirrored) the hazard flasher on the fuse box. But its not. My friend who has a 5.0 looked and he can't see it so Im baffeld. It MUST be somewhere.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:04 PM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

If you try to turn the turn signal on does it make any click noise at all?
If so try turning it on and off while looking and see if it helps you find it.
Did you look for the puple wire with a red stripe and the blue wire?
Old 04-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

87 hatch, I don't know what got you all excited, but for one thing, there is NO WAY a light can "flash" or turn on and off without a flasher relay. So no matter how slow yours is flashing, you must have one. Also, the clicking noise you hear when you use your turning signal is the actual sound of the magnet engaging and disengaging on the flasher relay. And yes, it is toward the middle of the car, not in the with the rest of the fuses in the fuse box. I believe that is the FUSE for the flasher relay, not the relay itself.

Also, when he was talking about "superman" he's simply trying to let you imagine where it is in your car, using "x-ray" vision looking through the a/c controls, and he's right, the sound originates from behind there.

So calm down, geezuz.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Flasher Help