5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

T5 Tail shaft seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:05 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default T5 Tail shaft seal replacement

Is the rubber piece part of the seal, or does it come of seperately, what needs to be done to replace the output seal in the tail housing on the t5 tranny.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Default RE: T5 Tail shaft seal replacement

Its a metal clad seal. A screw driver will get the seal out. To put a new one in you need a seal driver or a simplier way, a round piece of pipe to fit over the seal and set on the metal part, a block of wood, and a hammer. If you go this route be sure you have help to help hold everything.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:21 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

What about the rubber piece sticking out of the tail housing, is it part of the seal and if not how does it come off.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:23 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ok just to be clear........i have a question

is it leaking fluid ?

the rubber seal is really just a dust cap, the bushing is brass and on the inside and is what actually seals it

the rubber seal is the rubber part and also the steel that mates up against the tailshaft face. if you pry it out...the new one can be tappe din w/ a rubber mallet too

but like i said..if it is leaking fluid...it's the bushing and the tailshaft needs to come off
Old 03-09-2008, 09:27 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

ok just to be clear........i have a question

is it leaking fluid ?

the rubber seal is really just a dust cap, the bushing is brass and on the inside and is what actually seals it

the rubber seal is the rubber part and also the steel that mates up against the tailshaft face. if you pry it out...the new one can be tappe din w/ a rubber mallet too

but like i said..if it is leaking fluid...it's the bushing and the tailshaft needs to come off
It is leaking fluid, how hard is it to take the tailshaft out and replace the bushing? Can it be done while the tranny is still in the car?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:33 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

someone said yes...i say no

if you had acess to a lift..then yes for sure

but it's not easy if you ask me...i was gonna rebuild my old t5 until i took it apart. that was easy...putting it back together didn't seem worth it

go to http://www.ddperformance.com and look for the pdf file for the t5 teardown, you'll see what is required...the shifter has to come out, and some of the internals have to come apart to let the tailshaft loose. that involves some little steel bearings and pins that seem like surgery to me

i honestly think it would be easier to just pull it out and do it that way. and personally...i'd just take the trans itself in. once you've done the r&r labor....the bushing is probably a $50 job at most (as a guess)
Old 03-09-2008, 09:34 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

if you grab the yoke...does it have play at all ? it should seem like there is no tolerance w/out checking w/ a mic

Old 03-09-2008, 10:30 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

Disclaimer: I could be wrong here, but I don't believe so.
To clear something up here, the bushing is located in the Tailshaft HOUSING. To replace the bushing, you need to take the tailshaft housing off of the trans., not take thetailshaftitself out. This can be done while the trans is still on the car, but is much much easier with the transmission out.
I just replaced the speedo gear on the output shaft, and had to remove the tailshaft housing. I was looking right at the bushing. You could then take the tailshaft housing to a shop, and have them replace the bushing. It would save some money, vs. having them take the tailshaft housing off themselves.

I'm fairly sure the new bushing must be pressed back in as well.

Taking the tailshaft housing off is relatively easy- You can consult the t5 teardown pdf's that nitrous bob referred you to.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

There is also a secondary seal on the rubber peice. Yes there is a dust boot but further down the seal is a lip seal. That may be tore or just worn away. Check the freeplay in the yoke if there is none then you do not have to replace the bushing. If there is a lot then replace both parts.