5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:19 PM
performance_stangs97
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP!

I just bought a 86 Mustang LX 5.0 and I have major oil leak. I am somehow getting oil all over my spark plug wires and the block. I was going down the highway and I seen a steady cloud of smoke coming from the rear of the vehicle. I know for a fact it isnt coming from the exhaust because the smoke is also creeping through the hole where my shifter is and around the hood. I drove it to the house and replaced the valve cover gaskets (Chrome Edelbrock valve covers) and the intake gasket (Edelbrock performer intake). When i got done, I cleaned it really good where there was no oil on the engine and drove it again......it did it again but this time, there is no oil on the valve covers, just on the side of the block and on the shorty headers. What else could it be?
Old 03-10-2008, 05:26 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP!

To be honest, you may need to replace your valve cover seals again or take it apart and put it back together again. I know on my pickup it did that and I finally realized that the gasket kept slipping in and would leak.

Also if you buy the cork gaskets, dont tighten them down too hard, they rip!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:32 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Clean it up again. Let it run in the driveway and rev it a little if needed and you should be able to see where the oil is coming from. You can buy dye to run thru engine and detect it with a black light. But if it's that much oil you should be able to find it on your own.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:13 AM
performance_stangs97
2nd Gear Member

well, it is leaking alot but it only does it when im going down the highway. I pressure washed the car yesterday and even under the car. This morning i went outside and there was oil dripping off of the hog head. Im thinking its either the rear main (I HOPE NOT!!) or its the valve covers. BTW, I did use cork gaskets to reseal it but the gaskets I got have the metal stops on it to keep from over tightening.