5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

347 spec stage 3+

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:01 PM
kalash
2nd Gear Member

Default 347 spec stage 3+

im at a cross road again, ive let the mustang set all winter with a bum clutch. im leaning to the spec stage 3+ clutch but ive got a few questions. what is the spec stage 3+'s disk made of, carbon or ceramic?also, how bad is the catter from that clutch.

as far as the flywheel is conserned i think its shot, i wont know for about a week when i can get time to drop the transmission but i think im going to upgrade it any way. the cars got a mexican 347 stroker with nitrous, what would be best for mainly street and drift use, spec aluminum or steel? when i upgrade it how do i tell what imbalance motor i have and is there any thing else i shouldor need to know about changing the flywheel.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:08 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: 347 spec stage 3+

most 347's are 28...but you need to make sure the person who balanced the motor didn't remove material from flywheel and or balancer...evident by drill marks... my stupid machine shop was doing it this way and I didn't realize it until I f-'ed a motor up when I changed the flywheel...anyway I got a 347 with nos too and I have a KC clutch......but I'd reccommend a stage 2 max if your street driving alot...stage 3 is more for full race cars and are usually puck style and won't last as long when street driven
Old 03-20-2008, 07:09 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

That's a pretty healthy clutch! It's got acarbon metallic disc. It says on their web-site that it has good drivability. If you are drifting I would put an aluminum flywheel in it. Being that you have a stroker, normally they are 28ozimbalance unless you haveone that is internally balanced.Who built the engine? What transmission are you running now?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:09 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

mjr you beat me to it!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

sorry!! but everyone always has something to add
Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

I need to learn to type faster! LOL!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:01 PM
kalash
2nd Gear Member

this is where im getting stuck at, some people say that its to much for the street, others think its just fine. the people at fast toys performance parts told me that the stage 3+ was the way to go for my particular car for street use.[:@]i dont want to have to do this every year.btw, i believe and hope its got a t5 still.

the motors bothering me to, i dont know to much about it. i baught the car from a old friend and co worker that i have sence lost touch with. its blue printed and ballanced with fordged internals if i can remember correctly. is there any surefire way to tell what imbalance that the motor is?

if i use the old flywheel and i have it turned its got to be shimmed correct? if so how do i find the correct shims, its a stock flywheel thats been lightened.

also, not to get off topic, but a buddy of mine thats with me now picked up a cheap 331 stroker long block, what imbalance are those motors, are they also 28ozs?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:12 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

Most of the time all strokers are 28oz balance. If you have your flywheel turned you don't have to have any shims. There isn't enough material taken off to really hurt anything. It didn't say on Spec's web-site but if it is a puck style clutch it's going to be tough to pull off but it is still streetable. With it being a puck style it will be more of an in or out style of driving, pulling off in gravel without spinning will be a challenge. The puck clutches don't have a marcel spring in the disc that gives you a cushion when you get up off the pedal, in drag racing with this style clutch you'd better have what's behind the clutch right or it's coming out, it's not forgiving. I'd call Spec and see what they have to say. I don't have nitrous but they only told me a stage 2 for my car, not even the +.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: kalash

this is where im getting stuck at, some people say that its to much for the street, others think its just fine. the people at fast toys performance parts told me that the stage 3+ was the way to go for my particular car for street use.[:@]i dont want to have to do this every year.btw, i believe and hope its got a t5 still.

the motors bothering me to, i dont know to much about it. i baught the car from a old friend and co worker that i have sence lost touch with. its blue printed and ballanced with fordged internals if i can remember correctly. is there any surefire way to tell what imbalance that the motor is?

if i use the old flywheel and i have it turned its got to be shimmed correct? if so how do i find the correct shims, its a stock flywheel thats been lightened.

also, not to get off topic, but a buddy of mine thats with me now picked up a cheap 331 stroker long block, what imbalance are those motors, are they also 28ozs?
most 331 are 28 too....unless you had it built with a nuetral/0 balance it'll be 28.....as for the clutch^^^^of course they did..they wanna sell you a new one each year!!!good bussiness for them!!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:22 PM
kalash
2nd Gear Member

where do they remove material and how do they do it to lighten a stock flywheel?

Quick Reply: 347 spec stage 3+