5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rats nest: can someone help me identify this stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Default Rats nest: can someone help me identify this stuff?

I dropped the motor and trans back in my 91 Project car. (www.myspace.com/projectlowbudget) and I'm down to the rats nest of wires under the hood.

I know the general area in which they're installed, but not exactly where they go. Here are a few pictures. If you guys can help me figure out where they go, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance guys.

First up is these wires found on the driver side of the car.

I have to assume most of them hook up to the this, but I can't remember which go to what side. The stuff that's on there is only bolted down to keep it out of the way. I'm not sure if even that is right.

Here's a wider angle view of the entire area. (No, i have no idea what the black stuff is all over everything. You can't even scrape it off.)

Next is this connector. Could this be for the smog pump, maybe? (No smog pump)

Then, there's this vacuum tree. I have no idea what this all hooks to.

Lastly, what the hell is this thing?

Thanks in advance guys. I'm in the home stretch. I'm pretty close to having it up and running again.

Alan
Old 03-21-2008, 01:47 PM
TI302
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rats nest: can someone help me identify this stuff?

I dropped the motor and trans back in my 91 Project car. (www.myspace.com/projectlowbudget) and I'm down to the rats nest of wires under the hood.

I know the general area in which they're installed, but not exactly where they go. Here are a few pictures. If you guys can help me figure out where they go, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance guys.

First up is these wires found on the driver side of the car.

I have to assume most of them hook up to the this, but I can't remember which go to what side. The stuff that's on there is only bolted down to keep it out of the way. I'm not sure if even that is right.

Here's a wider angle view of the entire area. (No, i have no idea what the black stuff is all over everything. You can't even scrape it off.)

Next is this connector. Could this be for the smog pump, maybe? (No smog pump)

Then, there's this vacuum tree. I have no idea what this all hooks to.

Lastly, what the hell is this thing?

Thanks in advance guys. I'm in the home stretch. I'm pretty close to having it up and running again.

Alan
Old 03-21-2008, 01:49 PM
TI302
2nd Gear Member

helped post all your pics for you. had to change the imgage codes to lower case img from IMG. for the wires in your hand were going to need to know where each goes to, but that black tray in that area is for your battery, and going by the side of the ring terminals they probably all go to the battery, they could be grounds or positive leads though
Old 03-21-2008, 02:05 PM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

In the first picture, those wires are going to bolt to the starter solenoid. That is the black thing with 2 big terminals and 2 small ones with all the wires on it. It doesn't "technically" matter what side they go on, as long as all the wires are on the correct side. All it does is make a switch between the battery and starter. The only thing you have to make sure is the starter wire goes on the side that isn't getting constant power. Also, that little wire that goes over a screw has to go back in the same spot. I can't remember off the top of my head, but the terminal is labeled with a letter. That's why I recommend bolting the solenoid in the right spot and putting all the cluster of wires on the side closest to the firewall. Pretty much how you have it set right now. I would venture to say that is the right terminal for the little ignition switch wire, unless you rotated or unbolted the solenoid from it's original position.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:14 PM
1990lxhatch
2nd Gear Member

The big black ones are likely all or mostly grounds. Solenoid to body,harness to body, etc.Looks like the red ones are likely all or mostpower (from solenoid). Colors can be deceiving but it's a good start. Eyelet holes like that are definitely coming off a post or being screwed down. Powers and grounds for sure.
You need a mock car. The best thing you can do is get a buddy with an EFI fox as similar to yours as possible.

The connector may be for the air pump but I can't get out to mine right now and look. My pump is gone too...and someone already hacked on my engine harness a bit...next years project....

The other is a vacuum switch.The line on the top of the round end should come from the vacuum tree that mounts on thedriver's side of the firewall. The bottom line goes into the inner fender andI think it ends up at theheater plenum. The other linegoes into the firewall rightbelow the hole in the pichweld on the passenger side and it either goes to the plenum as well - or goes to the blend/mode/selection switch in the dash.

Hope this is a little help.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Thanks. I was wondering why the IMG tags weren't working.

I'll get out and mess with it in the morning. For now I have to roll it back in the garage.