5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

water pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 AM
ship

Default RE: water pump issues

ORIGINAL: PJC Racing

You are probably going to have a hell of a time getting the timing cover off. More likely than not, the bolts are frozen in the cover and not the block. I have seen this a couple of times and in all cases it was caused by the owner/mechanic not sealing the threads on the bolts when they replaced the pump. The coolant collects in the space between the bolt and the cover and thencauses unlike metal corrosion. Try to use a pick and some penetrating oil to dig out the corrosion. Good luck, if the corrosion is bad you may have to cut the cover off, I had to do this on a customers 351 a couple of years ago because the corrosion was so bad I couldn't get the pick through.

it's like you predicted what would happen,,, she's getting the timing chain cover cut off tomorow, doing it right this time! I wish I could talk to the guy who did it last time and tell him how much of a PITA this is
Old 03-26-2008, 07:18 PM
ship

well, got the airtools and puller on it today and the timing chain cover fell off with no problems..

I know I broke a bolt, I have the bolt... It's broken

But there's no bolt in the block?

New timing chain, new cover, new water pump, new thermostat, new gaskets, coolant, hoses, everything!

my timing chain moves a lot more than I think it should, is there a deflection Specification for these chains?
either way It's got to be out of spec..

and the smog pump is going to be taken out as well.

she should run a lot better now! I hope..
Old 03-30-2008, 04:13 PM
ship

Got her back and she runs great, turns out my old timing chain was garbage..

Anyway, my friend found the water pump bolts with the studs at the local dealer with no problem??

I called the parts manager to see how many he had in stock and he said he got them from somwhere else of course..

If I find them I'm gonna buy some extra ones.

Now I gotta byass the heater core so I can actually stop leaking coolant

and of course it's raining on the day I finally get my vert running