5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

K-member swap ?

Old 03-22-2008, 12:21 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default K-member swap ?

How hard and what all is involved in swapping a K-member ?

I understand taking the whole front suspension apart, but how do you
install the new one ? take special tools and/or knowledge ?

I know you have to plumb bob some stuff to square it to the frame,
but can anyone walk me thru it ?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:27 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Default RE: K-member swap ?

i think mjr and pro are doing his right now i am sure they could help ya out. i had a guy do mine for me when my stroker was built several years ago
Old 03-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Bullitt91
2nd Gear Member

thats basically it. mark where the current k-member is. remove all of the suspension and the steering rack. support or remove the engine and tranny(easier and faster if u just support it with a hoist). and unbolt the k-member. drop it down and bolt the other one up. i know its not the most detailed process but if you have any problems just check back here in im sure everyone here will be glad to help u through it.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:40 PM
CHILLERMAN
1st Gear Member

I'm going to do mine pretty soon as well. It looks fairly straight forward. I'll be doing mine with the engine still in the car. I'll post-up if I have some problems or can share the good points as well.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:41 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

it's not all that hard!! I just took measurements side to side and centered it and then measured cross ways and then tightened it down on mine and then bolted all suspension parts up.....since I have an alignment rack at my shop it was easy to set ride height.....I set it on the alignment rack and adjusted coil overs using the measurement from the top of the tire to the top of the fender lip as a guide until it was even side to side and then with the caster camber plates just eyeball it and then I put it on the rack and set each individual setting....it took 3-4 tries until I got it so the car drove good with no pull.........but simple hand tools and I did mine with the motor out.. but Pro AND I will be doing his with the motor in so we will use a craddle to support motor from above.... but I'd have an impact gun handy...you'll need it to blast the k-member bolts on tight...you don't want them moving around
Old 03-23-2008, 03:23 PM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

i just imstalled mine 2 weeks ago, engine was out of the car so it was much easier. I disconnected the steering first then i loosened all the bolts and took it down. then i installed the new one and took side to side measurements with a digital calliper. I was 0.001" off on each side which is pretty good, an alignment will fix anything else
Old 03-23-2008, 04:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^yeah I did mine with the engine out to...made for a easy install as I was standing in / under engine bay numerous times
Old 03-24-2008, 02:25 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Got an AJE Racing k-member coming from Jegs.

Let you know how it goes. Guess I'll start tearing down the front suspension tonight
Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

If you have the time it would be nice for you to do an editorial on the install with a lot of PICS. PLEASE!!! Hopefully i'll be doing mine in the near future.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:35 PM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

not to jack your thread but the k-mem on a 4cyl lx --will a 5.0 drop right into that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K-member swap ?