5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:50 PM
navy_nichols05

Default long tube headers

how far down do the long tubes sit will the scratch speed bumps if i were to lower my car or would i even be able to lower the car at all with them all does any one know if long tube headers are legal in california
Old 03-23-2008, 02:03 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Default RE: long tube headers

I have long tubes on a lowered 93. Speed bumps are not a problem with my car since the collectors are relatively close to the front tires. So the headers rise above the speed bump with the front tires. The mufflers do not have the same luxury. The scrape often. Similar to differentials on 4x4's, they go up with the tires but highcentering the middle is a problem, especially on longwheelbase trucks.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:12 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

from what ive heard longtubes at least BBKS with their midpipe actually tuck up more than shortys and that midpipe

also theyre illegal in CA but **** if thats stopping me [8D]
Old 03-23-2008, 06:58 AM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FuzzyDiceRule

from what ive heard longtubes at least BBKS with their midpipe actually tuck up more than shortys and that midpipe

also theyre illegal in CA but **** if thats stopping me [8D]

WTF? You saw mine the other night. The ONLY time I have scraped mine was when I hit a speed bump too fast and the car bounced. It wasnt the headers that hit, it was where the H-pipe bolts to the mufflers. However, when I had my shorties and BBK catted h-pipe, it scraped almost every day.

I have MACs btw.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:52 AM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

How much additional HP are we talkin with longtubes?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

It really depends on your supporting mods. If you are mainly stock, I would stick with shorties. MAC Performance did a test and on a bolt on motor, the long tubes only made 5 more peak hp, but the shorties made more hp acroos the board. On a motor that had heads, cam, and an intake, the long tubes blew the shorties outta the water.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rajun_Cajun

It really depends on your supporting mods. If you are mainly stock, I would stick with shorties. MAC Performance did a test and on a bolt on motor, the long tubes only made 5 more peak hp, but the shorties made more hp acroos the board. On a motor that had heads, cam, and an intake, the long tubes blew the shorties outta the water.
That's the collectors on long tubes have a scavenging effect.
On a mild engine there is little gain in scavenging because of small overlap camshafts.

On large overlap camshafts rely on scavenging.

For an extreme example I had a small camshaft 70 Road Runner. Through exhaust it ran 12.4@108. With the exhaust disconnected 12.4@109. Minor.
After swapping to a cam with more overlap it was disappointingly ran a 12.2@109. The cam hated having to push through my exhaust.
Disconnected it ran 11.6@118.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:41 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

these are my bbk longtubes
they sit nicely tucked up against the body, plus my car is lowered and i no longer scrape the exhaust like i used to with the old mac shorties and stock midpipe.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:17 PM
jrt1990
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nseoi

these are my bbk longtubes
they sit nicely tucked up against the body, plus my car is lowered and i no longer scrape the exhaust like i used to with the old mac shorties and stock midpipe.
damn I must say you have one clean underbody, heres what mine look like under there...
Old 03-23-2008, 09:09 PM
zx9rrick

Quick Reply: long tube headers