5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

for those of you trying to pass emissons

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 AM
TTGreenSN95
3rd Gear Member

Default for those of you trying to pass emissons

Acetone can reduce hydrocarbon emissions up to 60 percent. In some older cars, the HC readings with acetone in a 1986 GMC went from 440 PPM to 195, as just one example. Though mileage gains taper off with too much acetone, hydrocarbon emissions are nevertheless greatly reduced. Pure acetone is an extremely clean burning fuel that burns in air with a pretty blue, smokeless flame.
Acetone reduces the formation of water-ice crystals in below-zero weather which can damage the fuel filter. Change that fuel filter every year to protect injectors.
There are no known bad effects and every good reason to use acetone in your fuel. I have never seen a problem with acetone, and I have used ACETONE in gasoline and diesel fuel and in jet fuel (JP-4) for 50 years. I have rigorously tested fuels independently (with burns all over me) and am considered an authority on this important subject.

dont know if this will work I have been reading up on this and it seems to give better gas milage also like in your parts getter like up to 20 miles per gallon better in some vehicles........Im going to try it in my getter and see if it works I get about 280 miles to a tank of gas wonder what Ill get with 1 1/2 ounces of this stuff in the tank?

heres the link http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

dangit I thought I was in the general 5.0 section........................................... ..............................
Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 AM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: for those of you trying to pass emissons

you do know what happens when you put acetone in a plastic cup right?
i would assume it would also disintegrate rubber... or be not too good for injectors.
hmm... interesting article though.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
TTGreenSN95
3rd Gear Member

Heck I dont know I just ran accross it and it did say just put in a little. im not familar with emissions....but did you see the count on the test on the gmc. 499 down to 195 is that good? seems if you where just a little over a little bit of this stuff just to get you thru an emissions test would do the trick.there trying to go to emision testing here in virginia in the future..just checking around trying to see things that wil help me pass.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:04 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93_five_oh

you do know what happens when you put acetone in a plastic cup right?
i would assume it would also disintegrate rubber... or be not too good for injectors.
hmm... interesting article though.
thats by itself, and the cup is styrofoam not rubber. When mixed with gasoline its ok. Done this plenty of times.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:42 PM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

plastic, not styrofoam. either way it doesn't matter.
so did you notice a difference?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:03 PM
r1pilot
1st Gear Member

I used it and passed easily with no cats.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:31 PM
TTGreenSN95
3rd Gear Member

haha thats the answer I was looking for thanks jzwahr!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 08:09 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jzwahr

I used it and passed easily with no cats.
Had you failed the test without the use of Acetone?
Were any other changes made?

Materials/Plastics
Plastic cups are usually styrene... same basic thing as styrofoam... Styrene is pretty weak in chemical resistance...
Fuel jugs can be purchased in plastic.
Fuel lines are rubber.
You can go to the parts store and find any number of fuel additives sold in PLASTIC containers.

The point is... plastics can be chemically resistant...
When I played with Acetone as an additive, I used a plastic bottle (High Density PolyEthylene, HDPE) to store/transport the acetone.

Most any part already in your fuel system should NOT react to acetone in any way.

In my testing, I saw ZERO improvement in mpg. I looked at individual tanks at various concentrations, and looked at the 10 tank average with acetone compared to the 10 tank average without.
All numbers were within normal variation....
From what I have seen Acetone is a placebo.
(however, it may prove to be beneficial at higher CR's???)

I did not have the need to check emissions output...
Old 03-24-2008, 11:19 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

I passed with no cats, HCI and advanced timing- after using a bottle of emmisions test pass guaranteed.

Didn't even know my cats were gutted. But this chemical works great !
Old 03-24-2008, 11:29 PM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

I posted this same thing in another emissions thread the other day. From mine and my friends experience, it is possible to see a slight average MPG gain off acetone, and it drops Hydrocarbon emissions. However, too much acetone will kill your gas mileage, but at the same time drastically drop your hydrocarbons. (good for emissions i guess )Again, I have only tested this with a pickup running on 87 octane too. Never in My Mustang runnin 93+ octane. I can't imagine it makes a big difference, but I can't be sure it doesn't either. I have never heard of serious damage done by acetone though.

Quick Reply: for those of you trying to pass emissons