5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Backpressure....I might need to change some things.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:52 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Backpressure....I might need to change some things.

ORIGINAL: dudeboy

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty
I said "some backpressure" in other words "some restriction"

I don't give a rats **** if you call it 'pipe length tuning'
If you call a cat a 'dog' then you are wrong, it is that simple............

You say tamato, I say tomato
You say dudeboy, I say ladyboy

Resonant tuning is what you are talking about, but you keep calling it back pressure.

Were not talking about a car stereo... I used to get a resonant frequency of about 35Hz in my previous truck

If backpressure were the only thing that mattered, then we would all be crimping our exhuast down from the factory size.
WTF?
That would increase backpressure right? And by your theory, increase performance?

We don't want a bottleneck, we need some good flow, but we need something that creates turbulence

Upgrading exhaust on a stock motor yeilds some very small results and most people upgrade their exhaust for primairly fora louder more aggressiveexhaust note(and looks).
Funny, I swapped out my exhaust pretty early on.... Only had 1.7 rockers and a OTS J3 chip (before I knew better guys, sorry...)
I noticed the difference...

Great!

This is why every exhaust manufacturer suggests that going too big will actually hurt performance.
This is becaue 'every exhaust manufacturer' does not do extensive testing for resonance tuning... duh...

Your dumb! They are in the exhaust business and I'm sure there has to be some testing/ researchdone for their reputation.

These guys sell mass produced parts to cookie cutter cars... not a good example to use for discussing design principles...

This is why no one runs a dual 3" exhaust system (unless you have a massive build).
Maybe cost is part of that????????????

Not really

And, again, I think you are talking mass produced exhaust components?
Designed to 'work' on cars built to a wide variety of specs.......

No, you buy what will work for you

This is why you don't get headers with real huge primaries (unless you have a massive build).
Unless you take the time to 'tune' the primaries... in which case pipe length and diameter are the major factors...

Regardless of the primary diameter, it isn't backpressure that is working here...

I don't know anyone who 'tunes' their primaries, they just buy headers and put them on. (Unless they are serious, and it doesn't sound like you are)

This is why almost everyone who runs dumps says they felt a loss in torque when they took the tails off, and most people who add tailpipes feel an increase.
Funny,
My cousin had no cats and dumps on his Mustang when he purchased it. A couple months later, when he had to go through emissions he added cats and dump mufflers.
The care sure felt slower to me.... each scenario will play out differently.
It depends on the rest of the build!!!!!

I'd be willing to bet the car gained quite a bit of low end torque (1000-2500 rpms). It may have lost some top end with this setup.
You just don't know what to look for.

My point is...
It ain't 'backpressure'!!!!!!!!!!

Once you accept that there is something else at work, you can begin to understand it....

This is the same reason people with advanced stages of emphazima that have a shortness of breath use the "pucker" technique. They pucker their lips as they exhale and this causes some turbulanceand draw more air out of their lungs that would not come out normally due to their lungs being screwed up. They're not'tuning' their air flow, their using physicsto their advantage.

good luck,
jason

You have to remember, a massive build that is all top end, needs the least amount of restriction, as does a turbo setup. On a stock engine, no mufflers and no cats will hurt low end torque, (I would say 1000 - 2 to 3K rpms), but yes, once that obsticle is overcome, it will help top end.

I'm from the old school, where we call it backpressure... I don't know where you "new breed" folks get some of your information, (I assume the internet, and not real life), but I speak from experience. I have expiremented with several (and I mean several) exhaut setups on all my rides.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 AM
AllStockPony

I agree with cleanfitty. Everyone continues to say you don't want back pressure but the fact is you need the right amount. Resonant tuning is the act of finding the right amount of BACK PRESSURE.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-26-2008, 12:49 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AllStockPony

I agree with cleanfitty. Everyone continues to say you don't want back pressure but the fact is you need the right amount. Resonant tuning is the act of finding the right amount of BACK PRESSURE.
Atleast do some google searches on 'resonant tuning' before you make that comment...
Even if you look just look at intake runner tuning, you will start to gain an appreciation for what is really going on...
Old 03-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 AM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

Backpressure in the exhaust "runners" can lead to hot and spent gases hurting the fresh air coming in past the intake valve.

A sort of reversion would be going on during the overlap period, or during a later exhaust valve closing.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Backpressure....I might need to change some things.