5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear main seal & Throw out bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:16 AM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

Default Rear main seal & Throw out bearing

I am pulling my motor and trans bec I am doing a h/c/i, my rear main is leaking, and my trans is popping out of 2nd and grinding into third[/align][/align]Anyways....I am putting a Spec stage 1 clutch in the car too, is the throw out bearing that comes in the kit good enough? I had Ford replace my clutch on my v6 and the throw out bearing that was original and the new one both squealed when your foot was off the clutch. My GT is starting to do that. Is there such thing as a heavy duty throw-out bearing or a better one than in the kit or will the Spec one be good?[/align][/align]And since I'm doing my rear main seal....is there a better than stock on I should put in? thanks[/align]
Old 03-25-2008, 12:58 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear main seal & Throw out bearing

Rear main: Napa gold teflon

Throw out bearing: the one that comes with the Spec kit is fine. Keep in mind if you keep going through bearings it's because of the driver not the part. Almost all premature throw out bearing failures are a result of people keeping their foot on the clutch at stop lights.

Now for the poping out of second and grind into third: this sounds like syncros to me, not clutch.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:29 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Do not pull the old rear main seal out with a screw driver as most do.[:'(]

Take a phillips head screw, and screw into it a little, then pull out.

Its very important where that rear main seal goes, all the black gunk you will find be cleaned off with a rag, tooth brush and brake cleaner.

The new seal needs to be coated with Vaseline, and the side with the spring, faces inside.

You want to see that nice fine machined lip with no debris.

Often too many times that machined lip gets damaged, the machine shop, adds metal, and grinds back down to spec. But you dont want leaks after all that is put back together, and if it leaks a little give it a Month or so to settle in.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:36 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

When you remove the bearing, use a bearing puller. Do not remove the race(cylinder piece of metal)
Old 03-25-2008, 09:41 AM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PJC Racing

Rear main: Napa gold teflon

Throw out bearing: the one that comes with the Spec kit is fine. Keep in mind if you keep going through bearings it's because of the driver not the part. Almost all premature throw out bearing failures are a result of people keeping their foot on the clutch at stop lights.

Now for the poping out of second and grind into third: this sounds like syncros to me, not clutch.
[/align][/align][/align]A) I never sit on the clutch at stop lights because that is the wrong way to drive.[/align][/align]B) The reason the tranny is comign out is because it is getting rebuit. No **** this is not the clutch.[/align]
Old 03-25-2008, 09:43 AM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

thanks aode08
Old 03-25-2008, 09:56 AM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

get a steel bearing retainer also. i took my trans out and my retainer was wasted.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

If your retainer is wasted reaplce it, it is the same thing as a "bearing Race" I mentioned earlier.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:26 AM
fastford95
I ♥ Acer

hey d bag ur car sucks!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:16 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aode08

The new seal needs to be coated with Vaseline, and the side with the spring, faces inside.

DO NOT do this IF you get the Napa Gold Teflon, it is designed to go on dry (leaving Teflon on the crank).Otherwise this is sound advice.

Quick Reply: Rear main seal & Throw out bearing