5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

low voltage... need help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:37 PM
87lxBlackWidow
1st Gear Member

Default low voltage... need help please

i relocated my batt. to my trunk a few months ago and since then my pos. lead had wore down to the wire and shorted my whole car out. since then ive relocated the batt. back under the hood with all new leads, new batt, and new alt. now the car runs fine but has very low volts around 8-9 at idle and 10 maybe 11 at acceleration then it hesitatesfrom what im thinking is from lack of power. anyone know what my problem might be? or does anyone know what the proper amp and/or volts should be reading coming out of the larger wiring harness on the alt?.. im pretty much a retard when it comes to electrical issues so i need a lil help from my fello five-o'ers. any and all suggestions would help greatly.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:02 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: low voltage... need help please

The alt should charge around 13-14 volts. If your sure your grounds and cables are good, go have your alt. checked. I just went thru this last weekend. I finally got my car going again but it was hard to turn over. I had batt checked and it was only putting out 6v under load. I replaced it but my alt guage was still reading low. I took alt out the next morning to have it checked and it was only charging 11v. Replaced it and all is well.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:11 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

stock alt only puts out about 65amps max and 13-14volt range. it is very posible that you got a bad alt it happens sometimes more than you would think. have it tested to make sure its ok and from there sometimes it requires more than just replacing wires and such might need to bring it somewhere to be looked at
Old 03-27-2008, 05:36 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

You said the positive cable shorted against the body...... was there any fuse or relay in place? Reason I ask is maybe a dead cell in the battery and not getting or holding the full charge. I would check both Batt and Alt.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:02 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

all power wires need to be fused with in 12" of the battery.

The factory grounds are very small and can build corrosion between the connectins between the metal and the wire. Try to clean them and re-tighten them as you should not be able to wiggle the ground connections.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:29 AM
87lxBlackWidow
1st Gear Member

thanx for the help guys but i just took the stang to vato-zone and had my alt and batt tested and my batt is good and the alt was bad (not pushing out enough amps... p.o.s. rebuild) so i installed another new alt and batt. and i still have the same problems..9-10volts at idle and 7-10 volts in haul.... ive checked my wiring and ground and its all good, ive also located the batt back into the batt tray under the hood like stock.... what am i missing? im smackin my veins over here wanting to get the stang back on the road.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:02 AM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Did "vato-zone" re-check thenew alt installed? Just want to be sure no to go on a wild goose chase.

If the Batt is new and the ALT is new and checked out to be good and grounds and cables have good connection then I am a bit lost.... although looking back I wonder is the shorted battery lead caused the ALT wires runningto the BATTto fry or degrade but not completely fail. I would chase the the wires from the ALT through the harness to see if anything looks bubbles or melted. I had a issue long time agothat was similar, but tocorrect the issue I had toromp on the gas a few times, or if that didn't fix it I had to slam the hood, the short was in the harness between the RAD and AC Condenser.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:57 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue? I was wondering if you changed any fuses after the first battery mishap?