5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

o2 sensor harness. someone help please

Old 04-12-2005, 04:51 PM
xjarhead1999
1st Gear Member

Default o2 sensor harness. someone help please

ok i got the o2 sensor harness i won off of ebay today and trying to get it installed. im not very happy with it since there is a couple wires burned and a pigtail melted. at least its better than my old one. gonna rewire it and also use one of my old pigtails.

anyway the question i have is what is the extra wire for? on the long side of the harness there is a wire that doesnt appear to go anywhere. on my new one it was just there and on my old one it was just hanging around. i cant go off of my old one very much because someone used speaker wire to extend it when they put long tube headers in it.

can anyone help? my cars on stands at the moment and i want to make sure this is right. im also fighting against the rain. its comeing and going right now so im working in between them. i just hope someone knows what im talking about
Old 04-12-2005, 06:21 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Default RE: o2 sensor harness. someone help please

that is probably your oil sending unit wire.alot of people just cut it when they pull the motor out.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:27 PM
xjarhead1999
1st Gear Member

thanks
ok so its not needed? for now i just put it in a wire loom. done a code check and my o2s seem to be corrected. now if i could just get the tps to work right.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:32 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

LOL!.it's funny everybody is having the same problems/sollutions at the same time...i'm still waiting for my o2 harness from ebay..
Old 04-12-2005, 08:55 PM
xjarhead1999
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

LOL!.it's funny everybody is having the same problems/sollutions at the same time...i'm still waiting for my o2 harness from ebay..
yep, ive noticed that after reading someones post that my car decides to do the same thing. of course i cant figure out how to do the stuff quit right yet though.

hope your harness is in better shape that mine was i got from ebay. it was in bad shape. one of the pigtails was melted onto a pigtail for the o2 and wouldnt come loose. so it really only had one useable o2 connector. plus some wires were burned and cracked.

my old harness only had one o2 connector. the other was cut off and had speaker wire spiced into the o2 wires and harness wires.

i ended up cuttin the one good o2 off of my old harness, the one good o2 connector off the "new", and cut about half of the wire off and redone it myself. only took me half roll electrical tape, about 3 feet of wire, some wire loom, 2 burns to my hand from the soldering iron, and about 2 dozen cuss words to get it done. but it works now and thats all that matters.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:53 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xjarhead1999

thanks
ok so its not needed? for now i just put it in a wire loom. done a code check and my o2s seem to be corrected. now if i could just get the tps to work right.
you might need to use a dremel tool to elongate the adjustment slots in the TPS in order to get it to rotate far enough to get the voltage reading to .98 volts. I had to do this on my'88 model. when you have the voltmeter hooked up, also make sure that the voltage increases as you open the throttle and at WOT it should read above 4 volts. if the voltage don't change, then the resistor in the sensor is bad and you'll need a new one.
as far as the O2 sensors go, last time I saw a wiring diagram, some have 4 connections but use only 3 of them, one is a ground, one is current in and the other current out. and they can be killed easily by the fumes from some types of gasket sealer or RTV, so if you use any of this on the engine make sure to check the label and see if it says they are "O2 friendly" sealers.
by the way, do jarheads cuss like sailors or what??? LOL
Old 04-13-2005, 08:40 PM
xjarhead1999
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

ORIGINAL: xjarhead1999

thanks
you might need to use a dremel tool to elongate the adjustment slots in the TPS in order to get it to rotate far enough to get the voltage reading to .98 volts. I had to do this on my'88 model. when you have the voltmeter hooked up, also make sure that the voltage increases as you open the throttle and at WOT it should read above 4 volts. if the voltage don't change, then the resistor in the sensor is bad and you'll need a new one.
as far as the O2 sensors go, last time I saw a wiring diagram, some have 4 connections but use only 3 of them, one is a ground, one is current in and the other current out. and they can be killed easily by the fumes from some types of gasket sealer or RTV, so if you use any of this on the engine make sure to check the label and see if it says they are "O2 friendly" sealers.
by the way, do jarheads cuss like sailors or what??? LOL
i was getting something like .04 or .05 as a voltage reading on the tps. didnt matter what i done it never changed. the code kept telling me it was out of adjustment. i went out and bought a new tps and installed it. once again the voltage kept telling me .04 to .05. the car ran like crap with the new one installed and when i checked the codes it told me bad tps circuit. i took it back and traded it for another and the exact same thing. so either ive got a problem somewhere in my harness or i dont know what im doing. the car will run fine with my old tps on it, it just tells me its not set right.

got a question though about the o2 sensors. when i changed the harness and started driving i guess the car figured out they were there and working so it adapted back to the way it should. i had to play with the idle a little bit to get it going right once i got back home. the only thing wrong now though is it has started backfireing between 1500-2500 rpm. it only does this during the first 30 minutes or so of it running. once the car has been running it wont do it. any ideas about that? it may not be really backfireing because its not as loud as i would expect, but it sounds like a popping sound.

oh and some jarheads do cuss like squids(i mean sailors) but i generally dont. although working on this thing does at times.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:48 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

damn dude i know what you are talking about!...mine has a little poppty.pop.pop in between gears...do me a favor unplug
it from under your mass air,and drive it .......tell me what it does???
Old 04-13-2005, 08:52 PM
xjarhead1999
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

damn dude i know what you are talking about!...mine has a little poppty.pop.pop in between gears...do me a favor unplug
it from under your mass air,and drive it .......tell me what it does???
cant at the moment. starter went out on me. speaking of mass air i also replaced the electronics for it. mine didnt work. come to think of it, it may have been after i changed that when it started doing that. hmm gotta think for awhile.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:32 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

hey i finally got mine from e-bay..installed it,and now it runs better!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: o2 sensor harness. someone help please