5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:13 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

Default clutch question

would replacing the clutch in my car with a king cobra clutch kit help with shifting, right now it gets pretty rough and alot of times hard to get into first gear, also would getting a new shifter (steeda tri ax shifter) help?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:19 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: clutch question

If the clutch is totally disengaged and it's still difficult to get into gear, then it's either a fluid or synchro problem most likely, possibly shifter realted or bent forks as well.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:24 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

so if i replace the shifter would that help?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:52 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If the problem is the shifter. Check your clutch linkage and adjustment. Either way I wouldn't run a stock shifter. Get a good solid unit with positive stops, it'll shift way better than a stock one, and the positive stops help to prevent fork damage.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Replacing the clutch will only help if your present clutch is not disengaging.

I do agree positive stops are beneficial to saving a transmission when shifting hard but in your case it will actually make it worse.

If you are having problems shifting because of a synchro, lack of fluid, clutch etc. An aftermarket shifter has LESS leverage and will make it even harder to shift.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:27 AM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

well im taking it to meineke today to have them look at it, i only said anything about the clutch becuase when i got the rear main seal fixed the mechanic said the clutch was going to need to be replaced, but the store manager said it still had some decent time left before it needed, but either way i wouldnt have had them put one of there cruddy ones into it thats why id been looking at the king cobra,but if i do end up replacing the shifter is the steeda tri ax a good one if its mainly used as a daily driver for now, but may also sometime be getting a 351 into it
Old 04-02-2008, 03:20 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

Ok so just got back from meineke, and now i have a whole list of reasons why im never going back to midas...the guy at meineke thinks they left out a shim and thats why its harder to shift especially in the cold because it was warmer today and there wasnt much problem, and also, they took off my exhaust system and when putting it back together first on the right exhaust midpipe they put part of it on backwards so now one of my mufflers sits like 3 inches higher than the other and is too close to the body of the car, they also cut that pipe to make it fit which didnt cause much of a problem but then they also cut part of the frame to make it fit and then the pipe itself was hitting the body of the car everytime i turned making very loud noises, so bassically im completly convinced midas had no idea what they were doing, they also said it was only going to cost them 360 compared to meinekes 760 which is why i took it there because i was low on money but the next thing i know they call my dad while im at school and they tellhimits going to cost 820 and my dad didnt know that meineke was cheaper (and better) so he told them to go ahead and do it, so bassically midas is terrible
Old 04-03-2008, 10:35 AM
cobrakiller306
2nd Gear Member

Hate to break it to ya, but most of the guys that work there, are bums anyways, i wouldn't let them work on my lawnmower let alone ever my mustang. Sorry to hear they screwed u so bad!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:21 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

believe me i know that, i only take it to meineke becuase i know the guys up there and theyve worked on mustangs before, my dad just heard the price midas said and jumped on it and made me take it up there, never again
Old 04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
BlackxSVO

agreed with cobrakiller306. bring it to a speed shop. its worth paying a little more for better work. think about your car, not the cash in your pocket. but when you do that just dont let anyone jerk you on stuff you dont really need.

Quick Reply: clutch question