5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Flowmasters New Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default Flowmasters New Fit?

I bought a new Flowmaster Cat-back and put it on (old one had holes). I made sure to leave the new kit loose while i adjusted it for clearance in the usual places. Well, the new design sucks and im curious if anybody else had the same problem.

The intermediate pipes are now welded to the mufflers and i hate it. This doesnt allow ANY adjustment and IMO, the jigs used for to weld them up are either whacked or i just got a bad kit. The drivers side is too close to the frame rail and i had to use a chain to pull it over, which i had to let on or it would just go back to where it was. I had the two fingers on the H-pipe heated a bit to move the entire thing over, it didnt work. Does anybody know why Flowmaster made this God awful change to a fully welded intermediate pipe? Easy to install, but theres no adjustability.

I got the kit from Summit and it is a legitimate Flowmaster kit, not one of those cheap knock-offs. The h-pipe isnt tweaked as the last Flowmaster kit i had fit perfect. Why doesnt this one???

Makes me not want Flowmasters anymore.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:09 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: Flowmasters New Fit?

my summit kit with flow master mufflers fit perfect except the driver side tail pipe hanger was slightly tweaked. is that the "knock off" your talking about?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

From what i read in a flyer at CJ Pony, the knock-offs were made with poor quality from the start and the welds break at the muffler. They arent made by Flowmaster but are sold as Flowmaster. I dont have that flyer with me however.

As i said the intermediate pipe/muffler on the drivers side, its all to close to the frame rail, it [the muffler] was hitting so i had to use a chain to pull it away and is anchored to the passenger side sub connector and wrapped around the drivers side pipe. The tailpipe was/is fine, it doesnt hit anything. The passenger side was fine before i used the chain, and is still fine. Id hate to have to buy another kit just because of this and im growing tired of having to heat this or that just to make this fit. I understand not every Fox has the same tolerances but this is ridiculous considering the last kit (same brand,type,and part #) fit perfectly. Im positive that was because i could adjust the intermediate pipe.

Id get ahold of Flowmaster but im sure theyll say it was made into a one-piece to ease assembly and save on parts or something.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:08 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

That's why I bought an SLP catback. You pay more for it, but the fit, finish and quality are unsurpassed.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:17 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

on my kit connecting to the X pipe is the pipe+muffler as one piece. then the tails pipes is another piece. so two pieces total. i had to do some tweaking to get it away from teh frame rails because mine as well was close. what i did was tighten up the bolt snug/little loose. then i bolts the inner bolts tight which was pull the muffler towards the inside. then bolt the outside tight. should be no leaks and it should be away from the frame rails. i hope that makes sense.

without pics it hard to tell how off your kit really is but i agree mine was slightly off but its workable to does fit properly.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:15 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

The flowmaster catback I bought a few years ago had the pipe welded to the muffler and it fit great.