5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Whats wrong with it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:17 AM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Whats wrong with it?

Yeah it needs a cap i do believe. The car seems to run fine. It doesn't feel warm enough to be running "hot" as it says. The top hose on the radiator gets tight as hell so i know it's building pressure so the cap isn't releaveing it like it should. Also the car still runs like crap. It will not rev past 3-4k rpm's and it doesn't seem to be making power. but at low RPM's. has a good bit of hesitation on the throttle too. Acts like it wants to die at first.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:21 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

it's possible it may have a blown head gasket too being that it runs hot and runs like crap
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

BTW when i say the car run's fine i mean doesn't act like it's over heating. It does push water out of the cap instead of back in the reserve.
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

Humm, Would I find water in the oil or anything? Whats a good sign of a blown head gasket?
Old 04-06-2008, 01:23 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: gobabygo

BTW when i say the car run's fine i mean doesn't act like it's over heating. It does push water out of the cap instead of back in the reserve.
if the cap is on tight it' shouldn't push it out the cap unless the seal is bad.. it should push it out via the overflow tube and collect in the resevoir/tank
Old 04-06-2008, 01:30 AM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

The oil was black when I changed it and the water that rolled out the engine block and radiator, ew, was brown/green liquid. Had some crap growing inside of it and such. Not sure what my options are and what to look for with the likely possibilities.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:12 PM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

Well today after working on it for a bit I decided to get a new cap. Didn't help much. The fan does not seem to come on by itself. I have to flip the AC on and off and it will come on. Still runs hot though. The idle issue is the PCV Valve which was shiny so i thought that might not be it. Makes good power at lower RPM's then boggs still.

The Bogging problem, I am out of ideas aside from a timing/ecu issue.

The Cooling issue... well i'm gonna look into getting the radiator rodded. maybe add a core. I don't know.

Suggestions?
Old 04-06-2008, 08:07 PM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

Ok, So as it turns out bubbles poping up at the radiator cap means there's a blown head gasket. I'm not sure if that will cause the car to not make power or to bog down after a certain RPM. Also would the fact that the dual exhaust is 2 different temp's? Pass side is cold while the driver side is hot. Someone suggested a cat might be clogged. Also the pass side doesn't make near as much exhaust as the drivers side. Driver side blew out some black carbon or something of that nature after starting the car and revving it once I got the old gas out. Would it be wise to just stop looking for problems and just replace the head gasket's and others leading to it? I.E. Valve cover/intake gaskets?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:58 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

If you have the tools do a leak down or compression test but yeah if the head gasket is bad replace them and work back from there.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:33 PM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

Yeah I'm not sure what a leak down test is. Whats compression suposed to be on the stock 95 gt's? I mean, The fact i have air getting in my cooling system enough to make foam bubbles at the cap. And it's over heating. And one side of the exaust is hot and the other cold. Leads me to think the blown head gasket is causing all the problems. I could take it down slowly over the week and get my gasket set this weekend and have it together on sunday I believe. Best way to keep the old gasket out the cylinder's? I've never had to change a head gasket I usally start from scratch.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with it?