5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

King cobra clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 PM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Default King cobra clutch?

Anyone ever use one on a SN95? Im pretty sure mine is getting ready to give way. If you havent used the king cobra, let me know what you did use and how it worked.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Lysawy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: King cobra clutch?

Good Street Clutch i have it on mine fox body though .. pedal effort minimal

spec or centerforce will be my next option...
Old 04-05-2008, 06:59 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

well there is no diff in a fox like i have......same trans, same clutch

anyways...i don't like it

will be pulling the trans out in a month or so.....i'll see how that clutch help up over the last 2 years and that will tell the tale, but won't be for maybe a month

i don't like the pedal feel at all...too stockish
Old 04-05-2008, 09:23 AM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

I have one, theirs supposedly less pedal effort, I didn't notice.... I would get it over stock...
Old 04-05-2008, 09:38 AM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

I have 100 miles on mine, and i like it so far. Pedal effort very close to stock (didn't notice much difference), and it seems to grab pretty good. However, i'm not drag racing or anything, it's just street driven.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:57 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

I've got one, it feels good. Pedal effort is the same as the one I took out (whatever it was, and it was pretty wasted). What I like about it is that I don't have any chatter and it had good streetability. (Completely stock engine)

I don't race or anything (no clutch drops)

I got it through Summit, and also got a new FRPP flywheel (stock), new pilot, new Ford fork, and of course put in the new TOB.

According to some sellers on ebay, you have to be carefull as some ebay ones are knock offs and are very stiff. So it is best to dish out the extra couple of bucks an get it from a reputable store like Summit.

Unfortunately, I haven't felt another brand of clutch in a stang, so I don't have anyhting to compare it to.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:00 AM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Thats what im doing, the car is supercharged and I do alot of highway pulls and just street/drag racing with my friends. Just last night I noticed what sounded like a pulley squeeking but the noise would go away when I put the clutch in and the noise would come back when the clutch was let out, leading me to believe it is a throw out bearing or something. The car has 109k on it, and as far as I know its the OE clutch lol. So now with that in mind anyone have any suggestions as to a clutch? The king cobra kit is like 200 dollars so im liking that...but will it hold up to my abuse?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:20 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

IMO i would spend a little more and go with SPEC. That is a tried and true proved clutch.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:51 AM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Where is a good place to get a SPEC? I'm sure they sell them in some form of a kit...should I get a new flywheel? Or just have mine resurfaced?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:56 AM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

i'll give another yes vote to the king cobra. i had a ford heavy duty on my car and it was real hard pedal feel. the king cobra works fine for me. i dont tow or race though, just street driven.

Quick Reply: King cobra clutch?