5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Power loss? or how its is?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:22 PM
poopaloop

Default Power loss? or how its is?

Bought my 89 hatch last fall and when I get on it, It has all the ***** in the world until 3k rpm then completly falls off in power and cruises to 5.3k when i shift, It had BBK LT's, MSD cap & rotor, MSD plugs, MSD ignition coil, BBK In fender CAI modified to a in engine bay CAI for lack of a wheel well thx to the previous owner, Off road H-pipe, Dynomax Bullets, and Underdrive pullies...

I asked a few guys I work with who either know their cars or have owned fox bodies b4 and they said it was most likely a slipping clutch and i should notice a difference if i get a good one in it.

JW if you guys think this is the main problem or is that just how the engine is?

o ya, just ordered a bunch o' crap for it, O/R Xpipe is in, super 44 flows dumped, Pro 5.0 short throw (<3), BBK strut tower brace, and soon to be installed are new rear Control arms and ford racin progressive rate springs.

thx for any info u guys can give me.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Power loss? or how its is?

ORIGINAL: poopaloop

Bought my 89 hatch last fall and when I get on it, It has all the ***** in the world until 3k rpm then completly falls off in power and cruises to 5.3k when i shift, It had BBK LT's, MSD cap & rotor, MSD plugs, MSD ignition coil, BBK In fender CAI modified to a in engine bay CAI for lack of a wheel well thx to the previous owner, Off road H-pipe, Dynomax Bullets, and Underdrive pullies...

I asked a few guys I work with who either know their cars or have owned fox bodies b4 and they said it was most likely a slipping clutch and i should notice a difference if i get a good one in it.

JW if you guys think this is the main problem or is that just how the engine is?

o ya, just ordered a bunch o' crap for it, O/R Xpipe is in, super 44 flows dumped, Pro 5.0 short throw (<3), BBK strut tower brace, and soon to be installed are new rear Control arms and ford racin progressive rate springs.

thx for any info u guys can give me.
explain what you mean by cruises to 5300 r's..cause if what you mean is it jumps all of a sudden from 3 to 5300 then it'd suspect a clutch but if what you mean is after 3k it climbs ever so slowly to 5300 then those who are telling you it's a slipping clutch are "fools" and clueless and you'd be throwing good money after bad!!and in that case it would be a engine performance concern not drivetrain issue...decern between the two...is it the former or the latter???
Old 04-06-2008, 12:31 PM
91ford302
2nd Gear Member

not sure how much experience driving you have, but you should know if its the clutch. There is a big difference between the car still pulling, even if its slowly, compared to the rpms going up but the car does not accelerate.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:48 PM
poopaloop

haha sry guys this is my first manual car so idk what a "bad" clutch feels like yet...

Whats happening is its pulling like a raped ape from like 1k rpm to 3k rpm then it just falls way off in power and stops pulling. just slowly climbing the rpms to when i shift, like i have a 150 shot of nitrous and let off of it at 3k. like 220 hp from 1k to 3k to 50hp until 5.5k

hope that explains it better
Old 04-06-2008, 01:14 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Sounds like an engine prob, best to start with new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Fuel filter could also need replacing, change fluids and check your timing
Old 04-06-2008, 02:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

try running a koeo/koer test before throwing parts at it and see if there are any codes/probs the ecm sees and from there try cleaning the maf if it is a 89 and up stang and check and make sure the fuel filter is not restricted/plugged up
Old 04-06-2008, 02:37 PM
1.9.9.4 pony
1st Gear Member

trust me a good tune up wont do jack thats the same problem im kinda having on my car and i waisted about $200 on a major tune up to see if it will run and nothing yet im taking it to get the cat gutted out and run a code test to see what happends if not im just going to end up selling it
Old 04-06-2008, 02:41 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

also ....you could try to loosen down pipes a little creating an exhaust leak and see if power comes back.. if cats are plugged it'll cause a lack of power too
Old 04-06-2008, 05:02 PM
poopaloop

mk ty for the advice, btw... i dont have cats and i added the MSD ignition stuff very recently and all new plugs, (bosch +4s), better throttle response but no power difference.

thx again
Old 04-07-2008, 11:29 AM
306stang
2nd Gear Member

Did the problem start as soon as you put the MSD?

Quick Reply: Power loss? or how its is?