5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fuel guage stuck past full...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:10 AM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel guage stuck past full...

I will look under mine tonight but I do not think you have to drop the tank to disconnect the sending unit.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:48 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

^^^it would be much appreciated if you could because my neighbour has my jack at the moment.

Is there some kind of connection on the wiring like under the seat that I could unhook for the sender because I have my drivers side sil panel and kick panel up right now.
I am also still wondering if my sender isn't the problem and my guage is what would I have to do to switch it out because I have another cluster. Is there any soldering or anything or is it all contacts of plug and play??
Old 04-07-2008, 03:53 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Alright I started to dig into my spare cluster to how it comes apart. I have the cover off and the 6 screws on the face are out, my question is what do I do now what happens with the needles and such??
Old 04-07-2008, 05:43 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: ryan_89_mustang

ORIGINAL: mjr46

all you have to do is unplug the sending unit back at the tank and see what it does if it drops it's a bad sending unit it works off of resistance if you have decade box you can plug resistance values in to test gauge operation
Currently I have a full tank so I don't want to drop it too pull the plug so in my position It would be easier to throw in the guage piece but I don't know how to do that.
It's not about what is easier..I't about diagnosing it correctly and only putting on the part needed
Old 04-07-2008, 05:45 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: xfasteddiex

all you have to do is unplug the sending unit back at the tank and see what it does if it drops it's a bad sending unit it works off of resistance if you have decade box you can plug resistance values in to test gauge operation
mjr46 ive been thinking about my fuel guage & a few other people say they have the same problem it will go from full to 1/4 tank in no time on 1/4 for ever then stay when mine hits 1/4 it takes about 8 gallons to fill it up roughly half a tank. thesending unit is basicly a float & rod hooked upto a potentiometer could it be a bad spot in the coils on potentiometer or would it be the guage its self
the sending unit works off the principle of variable resistance and often times there will be bad spots in it and cause the gauge not to read..so correct..in your case it may have a bad sending unit
Old 04-07-2008, 05:55 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

When I started this thread I was trying to see if overfull meant gauge or sending unit. I have 3 gauges that do not function properly:
-water temp, needle is broke off
-fuel level, is overfull and never moves
-speedometer, is way, way off and bounces like mad.
So I figured the best course of action would be to take the donor cluster out of a 4 banger and take the working tach from my car and insert it into the 4 banger cluster. I just took the 4 banger cluster apart fully with much confusion and cursing and I'm just going to take the good gauges from it.
Once I do this I will know the gauges are better then the old ones so I can start narrowing down to the speed sensor, cable, and sending units.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

When I started this thread I was trying to see if overfull meant gauge or sending unit. I have 3 gauges that do not function properly:
So I figured the best course of action would be to take the donor cluster out of a 4 banger and take the working tach from my car and insert it into the 4 banger cluster. I just took the 4 banger cluster apart fully with much confusion and cursing and I'm just going to take the good gauges from it.
Once I do this I will know the gauges are better then the old ones so I can start narrowing down to the speed sensor, cable, and sending units.
the 4 cyl unit...is calibrated to 4cyl gauges like oil pressure and tach..but as you will be switching tach that won't be a prob but for the oil pressure you'll need to use the 4 cyl sending unit too.. that's what I had to do on my 4cyl to 5.0 swap on my 92
Old 04-07-2008, 06:41 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

the 4 cyl unit...is calibrated to 4cyl gauges like oil pressure and tach..but as you will be switching tach that won't be a prob but for the oil pressure you'll need to use the 4 cyl sending unit too.. that's what I had to do on my 4cyl to 5.0 swap on my 92
Are oil pressure and tach the only ones that are calibrated for the 4 cyl??
Old 04-07-2008, 07:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Are oil pressure and tach the only ones that are calibrated for the 4 cyl??
the temp gauge worked fine with the v-8 sending unit as did to volt gauge...voltage is voltage.......and the gas gauge I just removed elec pump and put a piece of tubing in place as I am carbed on the 92.......but it should be fine and I swapped speedo out to a 140 mph v-8 one as well as tach so oil pressure is the only one I know for sure that you'll have to use the 4 cyl sending unit..the rest should be fine..just use an oil pressure sending unit for the car whose cluster you remove it from on the 4cyl
Old 04-07-2008, 07:15 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

^^Thanks a million, I will just make sure I use the oil pressure guage assembly from my GT and I should be good.

Quick Reply: Fuel guage stuck past full...