5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

friend says 347 is too big on a stock block?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:14 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: friend says 347 is too big on a stock block?

My pins intersect the oil ring land, and I have no oil consumption issues at all. A longer rod is nice to reduce piston weight by shrinking compression height, and the increased dwell time can help to make the engine more detonation resistant and reduce timing requirements, but a short rod setup if built right and using good parts, shouldn't have any wear issues associated with the increased side loading. It might cost some power from friction, but would be WAY offset by the extra power produced from more stroke. And quite a few factory engines have low rod ratios, the new LS7 being one of them.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Wynn
2nd Gear Member

When I first read the post the first thing I thought is that yeah, he's kind of right. A few years ago the 347 kits needed a little more work to install than the 331, but now I think they've worked out their problems and they are both about the same. I may be wrong here but I've definately heard that somewhere.

I vote you're friend is kind of right, he's just looking out for you. That said, go 347!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:54 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: woodsy
I am going to have a **** pile of smokers on the road, stay to the right as they pass you by
it'll take more than a 347 to pass me by........

Old 04-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

I am going to have a **** pile of smokers on the road, stay to the right as they pass you by
Nitrous?...... I doubt it..... here's a little reality check of a 331 with NOx VS. a 347 N/A on pump gas...... and that's with "increased side-load wear", and a "crappy" rod ratio.........but I don't see any smoke........
Old 04-08-2008, 08:03 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

lol ok bob, I will bow out of this one, this 331vs347 is clearly over my head.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^so what do you run?? N/A and I assume on the bottle times too??
Old 04-08-2008, 08:13 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

lol...i'm not even gonna watch the video...it's a stupid argument...just like wet VS dry nitrous kits........nitrous VS blowers etc

i'm not saying a NA 347 can't make 500 hp.......but it takes some coin to do so

hp is directly proprotional to $$$$$$, and if peeps are asking questions here...they don't have the deep pockets it takes

and i'm not saying a 347 isn't a good motor...i simply made the statement that the original posters friend was "partially right" and i prefer the 327/331 avenue

then i was asked to explain

i gave my opinion which i still stand by......i didn't say what everyone on this site should do......i gave my opinion

you seem to have some issues w/ my opinion...maybe i should google all your posts and argue YOUR OPINIONS ????

are you truly a master at everything ?

are you over weight ?
have some sweet man t!tties
is your cholesterol perfect ?
does your wife cheat on you ?
do you cheat on your wife ?

i mean seriously are you for real ?????........am i not allowed to give an opinion ? please show me where i dictated a buildup for someone here....or told them nitrous was the only option.....read every post i make...i support my opinions w/ facts.........and truelife experience.
and back it up w/ anything i can possibly post up

i have owned a mustang now for the last 21 years , 5 being 5.0 foxbodies

so if you don't like my opinion.....make a fonzie sign w/ your thumb, then sit on it

and go phukk yourself, i am seriously in an irritated mood from this. but unlike you i will drink a few beers, wait for my hot wife to come home and have some great sex w/ her

you can have fun w/ yourself...or rotate thetires on your house

got anything else to say ????? cuz i can reply all night long

Old 04-08-2008, 08:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

so what do you run NITROUS BOB???i DON'T CARE ABOUT THE ARGUMENT BEING DISCUSSED ......just wanna know what your ride consists of and how well it runs...I like to see peoples combos and how well they do...helps me build good combos
Old 04-08-2008, 08:25 PM
thunderjet429
2nd Gear Member

rod ratio dosen't matter?????..... well a man named SMOKEY YUNICK say's other wise..... lighter piston, piston dwell increase.... i think old smokey new a thing or two. i'll go with what he say's. BUT the difference it makes is not realy noticable in the type of engines us plain folk build. P.S. if you don't know who smokey yunik or grumpy jenkin's were check it out very interesting
Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

so what do you run NITROUS BOB???i DON'T CARE ABOUT THE ARGUMENT BEING DISCUSSED ......just wanna know what your ride consists of and how well it runs...I like to see peoples combos and how well they do...helps me build good combos
i don't have current numbers...i live in MI and the track doesn't open for another month

but i have a stock bottom 302, squirting 80.......edelbrock heads, gt40 intake

rough guess on the juice........ 400 , expecting 11.80-11.90's and if it doesn't ......i'll jet it out til it does

but we'll see....... typical NA 347= ???? 390-400 tops , usually less cuz everyone uses box stock heads and intake..... i don't

Quick Reply: friend says 347 is too big on a stock block?