5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

BBK H-pipe doesnt line up with BBK longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:23 PM
88TTop
1st Gear Member

Default RE: BBK H-pipe doesnt line up with BBK longtubes

I don't understand what moving the motor is going to accomplish. The spread between the headers is about two inches shorter than the spread between the H-pipe ends. I think I'm going to take some measurements and have my local muffler shop do some bending on the H-pipe.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:38 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

this is why its bestto leave things loose, get everything to fit then tighten it all down. meaning if it helps loosen up the headers then bolt up the h-pipe loosely, tighten the headers then the h-pipe.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:55 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88TTop

Just installed BBK longtubes on my 88 GT. Went to install the BBK H-pipe and the ends dont line up with the headers. Have I overlooked something or is there a problem with the H-pipe or headers. Anyone else have this problem?
Nope, it's a BBK problem. And many have had this problem. Torch and a BFH usualy works.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:17 PM
88TTop
1st Gear Member

That's what I was thinking. Like I said, these things are made in jigs to assure the same dimensions for every unit made. So how the hell do I get one that is so far off the mark whether it be the headers or the H-pipe. Damn this pisses me off!! And I can't see leaving the headers loose at the heads. That sounds like possible flange damage when you go to tighten them down.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:49 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

BBK's jigs have been proven to be completely off. I have heard of people getting BBK to send them replacements, but they are still made in the same jigs. It it were me, I would try and get my money back and go MAC. MAChas a better fit andis almost equal to BBK in cost.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:04 AM
rm78mustangii
1st Gear Member

That doesnt sound very encouraging to a potential BBK customer. I have been pouring over the forum for info on what brand headers and h pipe to go with and so many of you have recommended BBK. Now i am not so sure. I would also think that every application should measure the same. And I would not leave the headers loose when putting the exhaust system together. Sounds like a good way to twist a header flange out of shape and create a leak. But thats a must for the rest of the system while assembling it.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:39 PM
crueheadstang87
3rd Gear Member

i had the same problem with my old set up, heddman headers and heddman h pipe i had to heat it up with a torch and beat the living **** out of it with a BFH. couple of weeks ago i switched to mac h pipe and hedders they fit perfect!
Old 04-13-2008, 03:07 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

Single flange headers>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>>>x a bajillion than multi flange
Old 04-13-2008, 04:51 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I have used 3 different bbk setups and have never had this problem. Did you buy the stuff new or used?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:53 PM
cobrakiller306
2nd Gear Member

Luck with the bbk headers and exhaust setup is not very good, I know plenty of people including myself who had issues with their (High quality) parts lining up... tsk tsk, you think for the money you pay for the parts they would at least come close, its actually ridiculous!

Quick Reply: BBK H-pipe doesnt line up with BBK longtubes