5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

lets talk nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:54 PM
93StreetFox
2nd Gear Member

Default lets talk nitrous

alright so i ordered my heads and im ready to put the engine back together. im not sure if h/c/i will be enough for me. btw i ordered afr 165s.but what i was wondering is how big of a shot of nitrous i could run? stock bottom end. and lets say the nitrous messes up my motor. will it mess up the heads or just the internals? or both? ive never used nitrous before so any information i could get about it would be nice.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:06 PM
jus4fun
1st Gear Member

Default RE: lets talk nitrous

The juice will ALWAYS expose a weak link. A couple rules to follow , its better to run rich then to lean.I run 2 fuel pumps, the second is only on when the bottle is armed. A fuel /nitrous cut off switch ( $35 ) from summit, that will "un-ground" and shut down the system should it fall below your 4-7 lb desired range. A 100-125 max shot will be PUSHING a stock bottom end. Most of all ,when you hit it be ready ,even 100 ft out in the beginning of second gear if you get on the juice expect to start to lose traction. Good luck do'nt abuse it, just another way to push ore O into your engine
Old 04-12-2008, 11:14 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

i have a stock bottom end with h/c/i and had a 90 shot and it ran low 12's upped to a 150 shot never got to go to the track but it would blow the tires off in 3rd gear at 55 mph so yea be careful. my bottom end has held up find so far but an lookin in to building an internally balanced with better rods and pistons. what year is the motor need to watch out for the hyper pistons they dont do well with nitrous. i would just add a 100 shot you'll be surprised at how well it runs with just that.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:11 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

there are too many misconceptions of nitrous to even start. i'll tell you 99 of 100 things you hear are str8 wrong, or greatly exaggerated.

the 1 thing that is correct.... it works....well

there's 2 types of cars out there... ones w/ nitrous, and ones that need nitrous

1/2 of what you make NA is perfectly safe to spray on your motor , 100 jets are nothing, 150 are fine, more than that and you start getting into high HP w/ stock block kinda thing.

75-80 will knock off 1 full second off your ET, 150 will knock somewhere around 1.2-1.5-ish, depends where your at really, the first half of that makes the biggest difference.

nitrous hurts your car when you go lean....nothing else. if you don't go lean, you won't break it, and if you catch it quick enuff...you'll just need to replace plugs. you start by melting plugs...when there is no more plug you melt the piston.

don't go lean ??? then don't sweat it

nitrous is not flammable...it doesn't burn...it's an oxidizer, it makes the fuel burning in your combustion chamber , burn better, by adding oxygen

so will nitrous make you blow up ?? nope..it can't

will nitrous make something else blow up bigger after it blew up on it's own...yes it will for sure.

but it's not the fault of the nitrous...the nitrous just made it worse by being there , not by causing it.

the seed is planted, you want it...get it, you'll be happy.

a nitrous kit is the least risky bolt-on you can buy in the fact that you have nothing to lose...spend $500, you don't like it ?? sell it for $350-$400 after you emptied the bottle.

it cost you $100 to find out

do a blower and decide you don't like it ?? you just lost $1000+ minimum

but for every guy that says get it...2 will say not to, cuz they heard from their uncles neighbor that his dog once peed on a guys lawn who's cousin had that nawzzz on his camaro and he was just being cool and it blew up. kilt that poor fool.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:18 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

there are too many misconceptions of nitrous to even start. i'll tell you 99 of 100 things you hear are str8 wrong, or greatly exaggerated.

the 1 thing that is correct.... it works....well

there's 2 types of cars out there... ones w/ nitrous, and ones that need nitrous

1/2 of what you make NA is perfectly safe to spray on your motor , 100 jets are nothing, 150 are fine, more than that and you start getting into high HP w/ stock block kinda thing.

75-80 will knock off 1 full second off your ET, 150 will knock somewhere around 1.2-1.5-ish, depends where your at really, the first half of that makes the biggest difference.

nitrous hurts your car when you go lean....nothing else. if you don't go lean, you won't break it, and if you catch it quick enuff...you'll just need to replace plugs. you start by melting plugs...when there is no more plug you melt the piston.

don't go lean ??? then don't sweat it

nitrous is not flammable...it doesn't burn...it's an oxidizer, it makes the fuel burning in your combustion chamber , burn better, by adding oxygen

so will nitrous make you blow up ?? nope..it can't

will nitrous make something else blow up bigger after it blew up on it's own...yes it will for sure.

but it's not the fault of the nitrous...the nitrous just made it worse by being there , not by causing it.

the seed is planted, you want it...get it, you'll be happy.

a nitrous kit is the least risky bolt-on you can buy in the fact that you have nothing to lose...spend $500, you don't like it ?? sell it for $350-$400 after you emptied the bottle.

it cost you $100 to find out

do a blower and decide you don't like it ?? you just lost $1000+ minimum

but for every guy that says get it...2 will say not to, cuz they heard from their uncles neighbor that his dog once peed on a guys lawn who's cousin had that nawzzz on his camaro and he was just being cool and it blew up. kilt that poor fool.

+ infinity

Exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it. There are so amny bull**** misconceptions about nitrous. Whoeve said that 100-125 is max and you'll be risking it is wrong. 150 shot is absolutely fine. Hell I've seen stock motors with nearly 200K miles push a 150 shot and FI with zero problems and still be used as a daily driver.

Is it safe? Yes, just back yourself up and don't go cheap. A window switch is always good to have.
Will you see gains? Huge gains. With your set-up low 12's will be easily had with a good set of tires.

Cons- It gets costly feeling up that bottle if you use it every weekend. [:@]

Old 04-13-2008, 12:52 AM
93StreetFox
2nd Gear Member

[/quote]

ha thats funny ****. but if what you guys say is true which im sure it is im gonna do it
Old 04-13-2008, 01:36 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Do it... you wont regret it.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:52 AM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

I love the juice. Not only will it remove the carbon build up in your intake, but it'll remove the entire intake as well. N20 backfires FTW!!!

Nitrous is the cheapest/most cost efficient power adder available. It will work, you will go faster, but be warned. Don't get greedy with it.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:12 AM
silentvoice19
2nd Gear Member

i was thinkin about goin nitrous and these guys are telling you exactly what some of my buddies that run pro street tell me.One of their buddies runs a 200 shot with eagle rods and thats it and hes been fine. Like they said though dont go lean. Wet kits are definatly a better investment over a dry kit IMO.If you have the money go with a zex that has a automatic nitrous cutoff if it see your running to lean.If you do blow it up live and learn find out what you did wrong and go from there hahaha.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:17 AM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

If you've got the money...go turbo. If not, spray the crank out of it...aka...spray n' pray.

If you put it on the bottle, just use your head. Most nitrous related malfunctions are because of the user, not the N20.

Quick Reply: lets talk nitrous