5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

over heating problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:41 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

Default RE: over heating problem

ORIGINAL: spray man

those systems are not that hard to bleed they have a bypass hose on the stat housing. if it jumps out instead of sucking in you probably have a blown head gasket, sorry
you are very wrong im sorry. all the new systems in cars have a bypass but will still over flow before the t-stat opens its perfectly normal you dont have a blown head gasket
Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

ight i did everything right, even lifted my car to get air bubbles out. and now when i test drove it it got to 270. im now thinking faulty t-stat or my friend put it in backwards, i went from stock t-stat to mr gasket one at 180

what about faulty radiator cap that wouldnt be the problem would it ?
Old 04-13-2008, 09:47 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Do not drive that car untill you get the problem fixed. 270 is asking for major problems. Take the t stat out and replace it.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the reply, appreciate it

what i dont get is, the top hose was a hottness from hell. and the bottom was just luke warm probley 100*
im hoping its the t-stat
Old 04-13-2008, 10:00 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

If you are still using the stock temp gauge you need to get/install a gauge that can give you a good reading. The stock gauges are miles off. All of the over heating indicators you described have been gauge indication, it could be as simple as a sender.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

anyone else? =D
Old 04-13-2008, 10:34 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

If the top hose is hot then the tstat is opening.. good point on the temp sensor, hopefully not doing all this work for a faulty readout on the gauge. You can get a cheap infrared thermometer at places like harbor freight and check the temp that way but the temp sensor is like 3 bucks to rule out a faulty reading.

Oh, have you left the cap open and watched the coolant cycle when the tstat opens, wondering about maybe a blockage in the radiator.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:39 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

yes, but to make sure im going to throughly do this again =(
goin to take out radiator tommorow and pressure feed it with the hose and to get crap out.
i dont think it is clogged but might have a gander at it tommorow again recaping it?

were should i shoot the infra red sensor at to get a good reading?

but then why would i have the effect of the coolent over flowing onto the ground and partialy comming out cap?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:10 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redemption

yes, but to make sure im going to throughly do this again =(
goin to take out radiator tommorow and pressure feed it with the hose and to get crap out.
i dont think it is clogged but might have a gander at it tommorow again recaping it?

were should i shoot the infra red sensor at to get a good reading?

but then why would i have the effect of the coolent over flowing onto the ground and partialy comming out cap?
You would shoot the infra red at the head and/or temp sensor location.

Now when you described the coolant overflowing, it seemed as though the cap was off and you were trying to bleed the system, sorry (but I don't think I was the only one thinking this). When you changed the thermostat did you go higher to 180? If so the cap could be weak, if you have a pressure tester youshould have and adaptor to test the cap as well. Also I say again, did you check the fan clutch?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:26 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

i got the 180 one mr gasket stat
whats the proper way to test the fan clutch ive been told 2 opposite ways and just confused now about the fan
noi wasnt bleeding it, i was just about to turn it off fromtest driving it and i noticed a **** fountain comming from the over flow and steam coming fromthe cap and my temp sensor reading 270
i did the test drive after i got done flushing it and refilling the proper way

sorry for buggin ya guys about this =/

Quick Reply: over heating problem