5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EFI SETUP ON 347?? WHAT SHOULD I USE?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

Default EFI SETUP ON 347?? WHAT SHOULD I USE?

So, I'm in the process of changing over from a carb setup to EFI with the prospect of going forced induction in the future. Below is the few parts I have accumulated and below that is my current setup. I'm unsure of what size TB/MAF/injectors I should go with and I don't want to run out and get 90/90/42lb and that be complete overkill....

So Please suggest what I should run with this setup. I've been looking at the Holley systemax, but am now leaning twards the CHP Spyder II intake setup as I can change the configuration around for a turbo setup later if need...

Also ideas on EFI fuel pumps, etc. I just want a detailed plan layed out beforehand as in the past I have just started buying without an end goal.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Aquired Parts thus far:
A9L FORD COMPUTER WITH HARNESS
SCT CHIP
MOTORCRAFT DISTRIBUTOR WITH MSD CAP AND TFI MODULE.

Current setup:
1968 302
Scat 3.42 stroker crank
Eagle H-beam rods
Eagle Forged pistons
351W Iron Heads heavily ported with 2.02/1.60 valves, triple valvesprings
1.6 Ford Motorsports Roller rockers and chromoly pushrods
Crane PowerMax Roller Cam Conversion - 286/ 294, Lift .542/ .562
Dynomax ceramic coated full length headers

Parts not needed:
(selling) Mallory unilite 9000
(selling) Mallory Hyfire ignition
(sold) Edelbrock performer RPM and Holley 600 doublepumper
(selling) Edelbrock manual fuel pump
Old 04-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

Default RE: EFI SETUP ON 347?? WHAT SHOULD I USE?

Bueller???
Old 04-15-2008, 04:01 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

What kind of FI are you going to go with and what's your end goal HP wise? That's your biggest factor when it comes to fuel.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

Good point... there's no point in getting setup now with anything less than what I will need in the future.

First off, this will be going in a 1966 Mustang... so some of the restrictions may or may not apply in this case.

Eventually, I'd like to run a dual turbo setup and try to see ~750whp+... of course that's a huge undertaking and will likely be a few years away.

For the time being, I'd like to hit around 400HP on motor and be able to use my 250 plate system until the block cracks and I have to make the move to an aftermarket one.

A single fuel pump for the time being should be sufficient and I can upgrade to a dual system in the future fairly easily. Being I don't have to run an in-tank pump, my options should be fairly open.

I'm new to 5.0 EFI, so I see anywhere from 65mm to 105mm TB's, a huge amount of MAF's and even more Injector choices. Obviously I will have to upgrade the injectors once I go FI and I'd like to not spend a huge amount on high priced low impedence injectors if I'm not going to make the move until later.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Blackms3

Good point... there's no point in getting setup now with anything less than what I will need in the future.

First off, this will be going in a 1966 Mustang... so some of the restrictions may or may not apply in this case.

Eventually, I'd like to run a dual turbo setup and try to see ~750whp+... of course that's a huge undertaking and will likely be a few years away.

For the time being, I'd like to hit around 400HP on motor and be able to use my 250 plate system until the block cracks and I have to make the move to an aftermarket one.

A single fuel pump for the time being should be sufficient and I can upgrade to a dual system in the future fairly easily. Being I don't have to run an in-tank pump, my options should be fairly open.

I'm new to 5.0 EFI, so I see anywhere from 65mm to 105mm TB's, a huge amount of MAF's and even more Injector choices. Obviously I will have to upgrade the injectors once I go FI and I'd like to not spend a huge amount on high priced low impedence injectors if I'm not going to make the move until later.

save yourself a bunch of money, cause when the block goes, so will everything else most likely...so get a aftermarket block now if those are the goals
Old 04-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

Well, maybe I'll stay off the spray for awhile then... I was thinking I would be pressing my luck.... I just want to get it running... it's been so long since I've driven it. the current 347 rebuild has never been ran. I cracked four keith black hyperutectic pistons before deciding to go EFI, so the current block was freshed up with a new hone already... I hate to tear it apart.

With the TT though, I think I want to stay stock stroke anyways to keep it rev happy.... so if it goes, a complete rebuild will only hurt my wallet, not my feelings.

Destroying a stock block aside... what do you guys think about the setup???
Old 04-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

Would a 90mm accufab/90mm lightning MAF/42lb injector setup on an EFI Spyder II be too much?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:26 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blackms3

Would a 90mm accufab/90mm lightning MAF/42lb injector setup on an EFI Spyder II be too much?

IMO yes, Im running a 70mm TB, 75mm MAF and 30# injectors on my setup.. works great
Old 04-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

Okay, cool. That's really what I need to know. I know in the carbed world, too many people overcarb their setups... I mean I was running a 600cfm carb on my old setup...

But on the flip side, I do want a setup that will support my future Turbo build. Of course the TB/MAF size isn't really as important as the injectors with a forced setup right?

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:07 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

that setup would work well in a turbo build, probably need a bigger injector though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EFI SETUP ON 347?? WHAT SHOULD I USE?