5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Horsepower Scenario

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:31 PM
cdougherty

Default Horsepower Scenario

Here's yet another "what-if" HP scenario, but I need some input.

90 GT Vert
Cold Air
Cobra Upper/Lower intake
BBK Ceramic headers
TF heads

So here's my questions. I'd like to get close to 400RWHP by doing the following:

E303 Cam (or open to other suggestions)
3:73 Gears
Paxton Novi 1200 SC
Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust

Now, from what I understand (from a couple of local shops) they say the above combo should put me right at and maybe a bit more of the goal. Any input on if all are necessary or just some of it?

Also, I've heard that when adding an SC with this gear setup that guys will step back down in gears cos with the SC they run out of gear?

Any input will be helpful.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:12 PM
apedosmil
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Horsepower Scenario

I have a friend with the same setup on a 91 notchback(lightest of the foxes) with draglites and street tires and is at id say about 345rwhp, he doesn't even have cats either he has an N/A exhaust from his longtubes that dump by the rear tires(looks and sounds effin sick). your not gonna see 400 on a stock block especially with those setups unless you stroke it or get one HELL of a good tune on that. Also I hope you have suspension in mind or else your just gonna chirp going into every gear with that blower. To reach your goal maintain a good balance between engine parts and suspension to put the ponies down on the road
Old 04-15-2008, 02:33 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

H/C/I matched combo and supercharger would put you at 400rwhp or instead of supercharger use a good shot of nawzzzzz would put you at 400rwhp. gears wont effect you HP just your ET's
Old 04-15-2008, 02:53 PM
cdougherty

How about the running out of gear with this setup?
Old 04-15-2008, 04:06 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

3.73's are a good choice for FI. I would say you'll be fine at hitting your goal but if I may suggest. Use a nicer cam then that. No reason not to use a custom cam if you're shelling out the money for a blower and already have a nice set of heads. Good set of tires and you'll be tearing it up.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:54 PM
cdougherty

Yeah, i'm in SO CAL so the cam choice i'm trying to be somewhat conservative in that I don't want to have to deal with smog issues. The cam discussion has been the lengthiest part of all of this homework. I've heard some suggest not using the "older" cams, but then some have said, "they're great, tried and true and work well, so why try to fix it?" Then there's guys like yourself who suggest something better than the old style cams. To be honest, I don't know enough about the cam technology to really know one way or another.

Someone also mentioned suspension/traction. This was also an area of debate. The intended use of the car is a weekend street/cruiser with maybe 1 or 2 trips to the track a month. Some have said that the stock rear components aren't that bad and that tires alone should be sufficient. I agree with the previous poster that i've heard chirping every gear is likely. Not that it wouldn't be a "bad" thing, but i'm sure it'll get tiring and that's why I was looking for ops on having a different gear other than the 3:73's.

Really my goal is: A reliable weekend street cruiser, maintaining CA smog standards with an occassional stop off at the local track AND having 400HP.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

on a stock motor and 12 psi and a good tune pro50sc has 365 +rwhp.... so you 'll come close
Old 04-15-2008, 07:53 PM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

on a stock motor and 12 psi and a good tune pro50sc has 365 +rwhp.... so you 'll come close
thats a great setup but i wouldnt run 12psi on a stock block. id say 10psi and some water/meth would get your goal.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:04 PM
crueheadstang87
3rd Gear Member

^^^^^ What good would water and CRYSTAL METH do? [just jokeing], with e cam good set of heads and the other mods i would say you'll be pretty close to your goal!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:12 PM
cdougherty

Thanks guys! It sounds like from what i've been told the shops I spoke with weren't too far off. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to be hugely disappointed as this is going to be the most significant amount of $$ i've spent so far. I think thenext big investment will be traction/tires.

Quick Reply: Horsepower Scenario