5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

a/c compressor/clutch problems???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:09 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Default a/c compressor/clutch problems???

I discovered that the A/C wont blow cold air. Seems as though it was not turning on. Got some arctic freeze, turned on the car, max A/C, removed the (blue) dust cap on compressor and connected the can with gauge. Readings were low so I filled it up to the recommended levels.

I heard a "click" and the compressor clutch? turned on. but then it turned off, then on...the off...on.....off .....this happened in about 3-5 second intervals of on and off. As it was turning on and off the reading on the gauge would fluctuate. When it turned on, the reading would drop, when off the reading went back to full.

So now what? Is the compressor bad? or the clutch/bearing? or could it be a relay or something electrical? Have A/C flushed and recharged?

Anything would help.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: a/c compressor/clutch problems???

The cycling on/off is normal. If your system was completely empty its possible your system was not under vacuum when you started to fill it. As such if you filled it up it still would not work properly because of contamination.

Before you spend anymore money on it either A) get a real guage set (Manifold set for A/C) and find the source of the leak, or B)better yet, take it to a shop and have them diagnose it. If there's a leak, they can find it, fix it, and recharge the system.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:22 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Derf00

The cycling on/off is normal. If your system was completely empty its possible your system was not under vacuum when you started to fill it. As such if you filled it up it still would not work properly because of contamination.

Before you spend anymore money on it either A) get a real guage set (Manifold set for A/C) and find the source of the leak, or B)better yet, take it to a shop and have them diagnose it. If there's a leak, they can find it, fix it, and recharge the system.
Great advice. Ppl that really don't know what they're doing when it comes to a/c should leave well enough alone. You already stated you filled it to the proper level. Guess what, you haven't b/c the clutch would not be cycling. (proof you have no clue on how to correctly charge an a/c system) You need a set of gauges to properly charge an a/c system.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:36 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

+1 forthe shop for AC issues. Even if it was the compressor and you did replace it your self, which is possible, you would still need to take it to a shop to ad vacuum to the line to fill the system.... plus it is not as expensive as you might think and will take the guess work out.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:32 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Great advice. Ppl that really don't know what they're doing when it comes to a/c should leave well enough alone. You already stated you filled it to the proper level. Guess what, you haven't b/c the clutch would not be cycling. (proof you have no clue on how to correctly charge an a/c system) You need a set of gauges to properly charge an a/c system.
Geez! Someone's in a bad mood today. If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't need to post here looking for help. I just thought I'd try the recharge kit before anything else and was wondering why it was "cycling" afterwards.

Thanks for the info though. I really do appreciate it.

Even though it came with a BASHING![sm=chairshot.gif]haha
Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Bad mood, never. Just stating the obvious. You stated how you filled the freon to the proper level. W/ the method you used, it is impossible.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:37 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5pony0

I discovered that the A/C wont blow cold air. Seems as though it was not turning on. Got some arctic freeze, turned on the car, max A/C, removed the (blue) dust cap on compressor and connected the can with gauge. Readings were low so I filled it up to the recommended levels.

I heard a "click" and the compressor clutch? turned on. but then it turned off, then on...the off...on.....off .....this happened in about 3-5 second intervals of on and off. As it was turning on and off the reading on the gauge would fluctuate. When it turned on, the reading would drop, when off the reading went back to full.

So now what? Is the compressor bad? or the clutch/bearing? or could it be a relay or something electrical? Have A/C flushed and recharged?

Anything would help.

Thanks.
I see where the confusion is...By recommended levels I meant I stopped filling it when the gauge reached 45psi. The instructions on the Arctic Freeze can says not to fill over that amount. So I stopped. This is when the compressor turned on and started "cycling". It would turn on for 1 sec, then off for 3 secs, over and over again. I already decidedto take it to a shop by this point. I'm just trying to learn more about my car and the a/c system.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:49 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Can't fault you for trying, I know I have bought the stuff before too. Make sure you take it with you to the shop, they maybe able to use it.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:11 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Took it to the shop. They said I need a whole new A/C system...installed about $1900.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:15 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5pony0

Took it to the shop. They said I need a whole new A/C system...installed about $1900.
WTF!?!?! I got everything for like 250 including new lines