5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

megasquirt

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Jeff 86 GT
1st Gear Member

Default megasquirt

is anyone running megasquirt here? If so how hard is it to install and program? Also would it work better to convert mine back to SD, since i am looking at getting some sort of boost in the near future?
Thanks Jeff
Old 04-20-2008, 09:37 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Default RE: megasquirt

megasquirt IS SD

so if you install megasquirt you just converted to SD
Old 04-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Jeff 86 GT
1st Gear Member

Has anyone ever installed it? How difficult?
Old 04-20-2008, 11:38 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

pm addermk2..he has it and is tuning his with it..but he doesn't frequent these forums too much nowadays so he may or may not respond
Old 04-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

I bought a Megasquirt for mine. As far as learning to tune with it, there is alot of information to look through on the net, and they have links for most all of it. I built mine from scratch, you can buy it pre-assembled or you can assemble it yourself. If you have ever played with Legos you can put together a MS, I would also like to add it was my first time soldering any type of circuitry. It takes a while to do yourself, but it isn't hard to do. Everything is well documented and there is a Forum for questions too. I picked up a tune file from someone on there (the MS forums)that has a very similar combo to me and plan on making my tweaks from there. I have yet to install it on the car and run it, but the testing program works as it should on my computer.

There is a guy at my local track who has a turbo'd stock longblock who runs like 10.80's or something like that andis running MS and I had asked him what he thought of it and he said Stand alone is the only way to go and EEC-IV is garbage. Now coming from me, someone who had his car dyno tuned and chipped, I wish I wouldn't have done that and went straight to MS because Iam very unsatisfied with what I got for how much I paid.Not only that but I had called the place that tuned my car and asked them if they would tune my car again, since I was planning on adding a Vortech S-Trim, and they told me they didn't want to do it unless I went fully stand alone... They told me they couldn't get the car to run the way they wanted using EEC-IV.

They also have a plug and play harness I think that basically you switch the MS for the stock ECU. I bought the Relay box and plan on ripping out all that hideous stock wiring and starting fresh with my own wiring. I have ZERO things bad to say about MS so far. I haven't had it actually installed though, but so farI'm very happy with everything and is exactly what I expected.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:56 PM
andywear87
2nd Gear Member

i was wondering where you guys purchase your ms from and which version would you get? i am looking at the fully assembled ones. what else do i need to hook it up to the car and my computer? any info will help thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 06:58 PM
86302gt
1st Gear Member

i whant to now the same thing about ms is it good i have watched guys tune hondata and haltech how difrent is it
Old 04-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

I got the Megasquirt I with V3.0 pcb. I am going to be using the MSNS-Extra code, which allows you to do fuel and timing curves, just like the Megasquirt II. This is who I ordered from and is also very helpful to look at when you put it together. http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_arti...rd_mustang.htm You can look thru all the stuff they offer if you look on the left and click "Products & Ordering" If you email them and tell them what you are looking to do they can help set you up. They are SUPER helpful and will get you going where you want to go.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 PM
andywear87
2nd Gear Member

do they offer any plug and play versions? i also would like to know what are the perks with going with the top ms it isnt that much more?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

I bought the relay board on there, just so it would basically be plug and play. You just run your wires from the motor to the relayboard, all one central location, then that has a plug that goes from the relay board to the MS Ecu. I plan on taking off all the other useless junk like smog and EGR at the same time when I convert it over to the MS. If you are afraid of work then I wouldn't do it. The reason it is so cheap is because you gotta do your own work basically. Like I said if you can put together a set of legos you can do this. putting together the MS circuit board was my first time soldering or doing anything like that and it turned out great and was just following instructions. Everything on the circuit board is labeled (ie R1 R3 R7) so then you grab the bag of resistors that matchs R1 or R3 or R7 or whatever and then solder it in. I just printed out these instructions http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htmand sat down in front of the TV with a tv tray to work on and built it as I watched the superbowl. At every juncture where you need to make a decision it tells you you need to choose between this or this for your application, because it is universal and flexible for a lot of applications. I would email DIYautotune, and see what they have to say, like I said they are super helpful and can set you up and basically pick out everything you need for you.

Quick Reply: megasquirt