5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

a

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:51 PM
brianday000

Default a

1994 Mustang GT Cooling/Temperature- Need Help [/align] [hr] Hello all and thanks in advance.

I just traded my bro-in-law for my 93 4runner. New to the mustang scene. Already I'm stoked for some modding. But 1st to fix the issues with the beast.

I'm having temp. issues: please read and reply with ANY ideas.

-Filled Rad & overflow to correct levels
-Start Car
-Idles 800-1000RPM, A/F mixture/ecu issue, I think, kinda glugs, throttle response poor, have 70mm TB & Cold Air, could be this?
-1 min. then idles fine, temp. @ cold start already low-mid (should be minimum on any other vehicle I've had) on guage.
-Let warm +/- 3 min. temp @ normal-mid-high, idles normal throttle response normal.
-Go for run up street & back 1mile total, temp guage reading just under redline.
-Get back and burp system. Rad Fluid spurts out, fluid is very cold, same temp as when I started the car.
-Temp on guage still redline so fan is on and working.
-Oil pressure just above mid.

Thinking that the sensor is working and it's either clogged or my water pump is gone.

Re&Re on temp sending unit Feb-06

Need your help here guys, thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 11:59 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: a

when bleeding a cooling system turn the heater on and when it blows good and hot then the air is purged from the system....try replacing t-stat first.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:53 AM
brianday000

sorry for the bad thread name, was my 1st post

^^thx I'll try running the heater, didn't know I had to in order to bleed correctly.

Should the coolant not be flowing and heating up anyways, even if there were air in the sys.? When the solution on my other vehicle was to bleed the sys., the coolant was still hot.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:42 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I think mjr pretty well nailed it with it being the tstat. First mod I always recommend though with mustangs, mechanical aftermarket oil pressure & water temp gauges $15 from parts store.
I just finished an '86 that went from a 4 banger to a sd v8 to mass air, then wired a 90 interior into it & that was the first mod that went on the car, $15 mechanical water temp gauge. Factory ones suck.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

fluid is very cold, same temp as when I started the car.
-Temp on guage still redline so fan is on and working.
This makes me think the thermostat is stuck closed. If the fluid is only circulating within the engine and heater and not letting fluid into the radiator then the rad's fluid would still be cold.

As for water pump failure, they usually leak and still pump but if you suspect it's not pumping check your heater. When the engine is hot, the heater will be hot.