5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Will my setup still run right, now??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:25 PM
GT5point0

Default Will my setup still run right, now??

I just posted on here about my suspension and traction upgrades, but i was told with my heads being so big 2.08s that im going to have to fly cut my pistons, and should have a power adder or something, i dont know what fly cutting the pistons is and i plan on getting a power adder in the future prob a small supercharger but until then when i put the engine in, its already built to waiting to go in will i have problems running it

trickflow twisted wedge heads ported to 2.06-2.08, i got the this way but measured it and its bigger then stock and im pretty sure its 2.08 but could be a tad bit smaller, i have a track heat intake and tfs stage to cam along with 1.6 rockers. Am i going to have problems with my engine now or what, should i not install it and could i risk breaking something running it like this, im just wondering now that i was told i might need to fly cut the pistons and that the ports are too big, and what problems could occur from that
Old 04-26-2008, 03:32 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Will my setup still run right, now??

what kind of pistons did you use?? is it a stock bottom end??? if it were a stock 5.0 piston and with 2.08 valves I'd of hoped the assembler would of checked for piston to valve clearance but if you have aftermarket pistons you may be okay....give us details on the build and what your goals are and how you matched such a combo??
Old 04-26-2008, 03:39 PM
GT5point0

I built it myself at my dad's shop, to check if you have the clearence what should i do, if i turn the crank everything moves smootly and no noises so i dont think anything is hitting, the block is outta an 88 mustang lx as well so i dont know if that will effect anything either
Old 04-26-2008, 04:08 PM
GT5point0

So how would i go about checking if im going to have enough clearance, because i dont wanna risk damaging anything
Old 04-26-2008, 04:15 PM
stanks347
2nd Gear Member

put some playdough or putty that does not harden on top of the piston and hand crank the motor over then measure the clearence. If you don't want to take the heads off, find someone that has a boroscope so you can look inside the cylinder to see how muh clearence.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:36 PM
GT5point0

So if i do have clearance problems when i check this on monday what should i do?? how do you or how much does it cost to flycut pistons, anyother thing that would better then taht?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:46 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: GT5point0

I built it myself at my dad's shop, to check if you have the clearence what should i do, if i turn the crank everything moves smootly and no noises so i dont think anything is hitting, the block is outta an 88 mustang lx as well so i dont know if that will effect anything either
you can't assume that because what holds the valve open and doesn't allow lifter to collapse is hydraulic pressure which is generated by oil pressure..a motor on a stand will collapse lifters as you rotate motor over since no oil pressure is present to pump lifters up hence skewing your results...a converted set of stock lifters to solid will give you accurate readings..twisted wedge heads with the canted valve will allow you to run the larger diameter valve but not worth chancing it..so check ptv to be safe