5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

i need some advice on building my motor

Old 05-01-2008, 03:48 PM
joe_5.0
1st Gear Member

Default i need some advice on building my motor

i joined the forum to ask a few questions ang get some advice.i recently bought a 1989 5.0 lx notch and with an automatic trans. it has some dents in the quarter panel and some of the trim on the quarter panals has fallen off.ive been reading in this forum and a quople others for about a month and ive decided on a cheap build that could hopefully get me some twelve second times put im thinkin itll be more like thirteens.
what i want to add to my motor is:

gt-40p heads, i know the regular 40s have more potential when ported but im not porting my heads 4 awhile

possibly some 1.6 or 1.7 rockers

explorer upper intake on a cobra lower intake just beacuse i dont want to adapt the explorer lower it seems like a pain in the ***

explorer throttle body

maybe a E303 cam

bbk shorty headers

then i think ill gut my interior and add some good seats and maybe an 8 or ten point cage and some sub frame connecters

anotherreason i want the p heads is because i read some article on the p's and it saidbolting them strait on will raise my compression to 9.5:1 and give me like 20-30 hp

anyones suggestions would be appreciatted also could somebody tell me how to re attach the trim thats fallen of off my car?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:01 PM
1990NOS!
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: i need some advice on building my motor

Sounds like a decent lill street build... Add a gear in there (3.73-4.10's), delete acc's that are not needed... MSD kit-- w/ a nice plug. Some giggle juice would be nice as well, and with that comp ratio it's run fine on a 200 shot... With that AOD... they have rebuild kits for them that have different shafts, rings, bands, shift kits and such....may wanna look into that...

If you're not looking to spray... that setup there can get you into the 12's easy w/ a gear (depending on you weight ratio)... no gear w/ the 2.73.... hi 12's maybe a very low 13.

As for the trim.... i know when my saleen kit was on my car it was just held on by 3m tape... Have to prep the area, apply the tape, and then apply the molding.... Could be worth a shot...Someone else may know better then me.... i'm just going off of what/how mine was.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:58 AM
joe_5.0
1st Gear Member

ok im not to interested in nitrous just cause im a little worried about breakin my motor.i think that down the road ill buy a super charger or put together a turbo and run 5-6 pounds of boost. you wouldnt happen to know of some cars i could take the axles and crap off of so i could do a 5 lug setup?
Old 05-02-2008, 01:09 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Nitrous if done properly is safer than a supercharger. Anyway, I'd get a better cam, and if you can afford it some better heads, though the P heads do pretty well on street builds.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:39 AM
1990NOS!
2nd Gear Member

you can get 5 lug axles to fit your car ou ofeither a older crown vic, or lincoln continental.... If i'm not mistaken....

And yes- that's true, n20 is safer then a blower if you know what you're doing... timing, compression, tuning..all that-- A windowswitch istypically prettysafe, butyou wont get the pull like you want/need off the line. Just a suggestion...
My car has 9:5:1 w/ my mods and some (listed below)-- and i have sprayed a 175 dry shot in it for the past 3yrs no problems, and no rebuild on both the street and strip... It's all about how you build it, and what their built for...
Old 05-02-2008, 12:08 PM
joe_5.0
1st Gear Member

what would be a better cam choice? im using my stock pistons so im worried about piston/valve clearanceand what would be involved in setting up nitrous?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:33 PM
1990NOS!
2nd Gear Member

a nice comp cam/ crane camwill work (preferably comp w/ some comp valvetrain)... 220's duration w/ a 530's lift.--- the more lift the more worry of clearance.

As for n20--- what type of kit? They all typically install the same except a wet kit uses n20 and fuel and a dry kit is just n20.... On n20 you will need a tune (unless its a dry kit like Zex)
bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, 90/91'ish MAF (depending on the size of injectors you run with), a nice plug (NGK #7's work well on the street)....Pretty much from there its all install n20, plug and play.... + retard of timing (never ever forget that if you use a big shot)....Also good to have a purge kit--- clears the line of moisture, air, and anything else....
if you wanna get technical
a bottle blanket
nozzle n20 guage + pillar/console n20 pres. guage
And a remote bottle opener (Zex and NX carry them)
Old 05-02-2008, 02:03 PM
joe_5.0
1st Gear Member

what kind of a fuel pump should i use and would some 24lb per hour injectors work with a 150 shot? MAF is the mas air flow sensor right? whats involved with installing one and how much is it?
Old 05-02-2008, 02:12 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joe_5.0

what kind of a fuel pump should i use and would some 24lb per hour injectors work with a 150 shot? MAF is the mas air flow sensor right? whats involved with installing one and how much is it?

Depends on if you are looking at running a dry or wet shot, if its dry you may want to get 30#ers....probably get like a 255 fuel pump for good meassure so you dont have to worry about it down the road.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:19 PM
joe_5.0
1st Gear Member

i gues it would be dry.thats the easiest and in my summit and doug herbert catolog theres some nos brand systems for like 300 to 500 bucks, but whats the best brand out there.ive heard zex is good.also what kind of places do i go to to refill my bottles?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i need some advice on building my motor