5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

a/c turn signals stopped working

Old 05-04-2008, 02:53 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

Default a/c turn signals stopped working

so yea the turning signals will work if i turn the key to where everything is on but i dont crank the car but once i start her up they don't work at all and the a/c stopped working at the same time. it just vents now. i already checked the fuses and they are fine. any ideas on how to figure this out?? thanks guys.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:44 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: a/c turn signals stopped working

which fuses did you check? That was my first guess as well and when I suspect a fuse I always check EVERY fuse both under the dash and under the hood. IT is not uncommon for circuits to be linked to one-another so I have seen many times where a fuse that had nothing to do with the accesories that I was checking. It takes less time and is more accurate to literally pull every fuse one at a time and check them.

The other thing I have found that can interfere with the signals is the hazard switch since they go through it. It tends to collect dust being on top of the steering colum like it is and can get the contacts of the switch dirty. Normally when this happens they will not work independent of the key position though..
Old 05-04-2008, 10:22 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

thanks man but i just checked again and all the fuses seem fine
Old 05-05-2008, 12:22 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

hmmm. going to be a little difficult to figure out without being there.

Any experience with wiring or experience with a volt meter?

First thing we need to figure out is turn signal since it's the more important of the two. Why it won't work with the engine on is kind of weird though... You'll need to take the cover off of your steering column (if i recall right It's 2-3 long screws, may be torx bits.. my friends car was).
First thing to check is the ignition switch... turn the turn signal on while the car is running & push up on the ignition switch (the one with the thick wires coming out of it on the column)

If that doesn't work let we'll probably have to track the problem down. Check it, then let me know if you can use a voltmeter & have one you can use.

I'll have to take my cover off & get a picture to show you which wires to check on. There should be 5 wires total on your turn signal switch. 4 for each corner of the car.. front left, rear left, front right, rear right. (not sure why ford did that) & a power wire.
The power is going to be a key on source & if i'm not mistaken it should be orange, but I'll double check for you.

Let me know if the ignition switch fixes it & if you have a voltmeter, then i'll go into futher detail.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:46 AM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

hey thanks a lot man i will check all that out tomorrow after work. im fixin to go to bed now. i do have a voltmeter. its also weird that they both stopped working at exactly the same time because i havent really had any problems like this with the car before
Old 05-05-2008, 09:59 AM
RoadsterRider
1st Gear Member

You might try replacing your ignition switch, if you search for blinkers, it's the problem that keeps coming up. That was my problem(but mine was pulled all apart to begin with).
Old 05-05-2008, 05:45 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

haha ok so check this out. i go to check out the ignition switch and the second i touched it the thing like fell apart. is there supposed to be glue all on the inside? well if there is it was all melty and nasty. i think the florida heat finally killed it. i'm heading out to buy a new one.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:42 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90lxstang
haha ok so check this out. i go to check out the ignition switch and the second i touched it the thing like fell apart. is there supposed to be glue all on the inside? well if there is it was all melty and nasty. i think the florida heat finally killed it. i'm heading out to buy a new one.
lol. I don't believe i have glue in any of mine. They're junk anyway they're held together by crap aluminum tabs. I've put mine back together & bent the tabs, but they're cheap to buy a new one anyway. Let us know if that fixes it!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

yep def the ignition switch

i lost my A/C, signals, reverse lights and defroster cuz of the switch