5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How tough are t5s to rebuild

Old 05-05-2008, 02:32 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default How tough are t5s to rebuild

If I were to get the video, how tough is a t5 tranny to rebuild, I have never rebuilt a tranny in my life, I know I need a 3rd gear, possible a 4th gear and an input shaft as well, I have removed motors and the tranny is out of the car already. Can a decent mechanic do the job, and what special tools are needed?
Old 05-05-2008, 03:20 PM
jnsnams
1st Gear Member

Default RE: How tough are t5s to rebuild

i wouldnt do it if i were you...you could find one cheaper than that than play with the other one...but theres about 400 pieces to a trans that all do something...a good manual trans mechanic can do it but other wise i wouldnt try to do it yourself...i tried a while back and that ,ade things alot worse..go to youtube and see about the videos on there and see what you think
Old 05-05-2008, 03:30 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: jnsnams

i wouldnt do it if i were you...you could find one cheaper than that than play with the other one...but theres about 400 pieces to a trans that all do something...a good manual trans mechanic can do it but other wise i wouldnt try to do it yourself...i tried a while back and that ,ade things alot worse..go to youtube and see about the videos on there and see what you think
400 pieces????

the rebuild kit is 95 peices usally. blocker, syncros, snap rings blah blah blah

i'm going to attempt a rebuild myself...if you're mechanically inclined its highly cost effective to rebuild it yourself, its a waste of money to pay someone to rebuild, either you rebuild it yourself or fork out for a better tranny. i got quoted 1000 dollars just for the simple rebuild with the255 dollar kit that has 95 pieces, that doesnt include anything with damaged major components that may need to be replaced.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:36 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

So if I have a friend who is a tranny guy I should be in good shape. I am getting anxious to drive my car and I was thinking about doing it myself, so should I wait for my buddy to help me out?
Old 05-05-2008, 03:40 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

This has circulated around, maybe of some help http://pomoforacing.com/tech/T5Rebuild2002.pdf
Old 05-05-2008, 09:40 PM
cgolden87

"how tough is a t5 tranny to rebuild"

Shouldn't be too tough considering my buddy had to rebuild his 3 times. Maybe he should have gone to an automatic...or not sucked at driving
Old 05-05-2008, 09:51 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

It all depends on your mechanical inclination and knowledge.....i've rebuilt plenty....you'll need a press, snap ring pliers, punches, small hammer, and sockets to unbolt case cover and seperate case and picks and small screwdrivers help too
Old 05-05-2008, 11:09 PM
jagman454
2nd Gear Member

+1 http://www.badshoeproductions.com/

i'm doing a AOD-T5 swap and I'm rebuilding one right now, I suggest you do it yourself, if you feel comfortable with it, I got the video for 40 bucks, the price is high, but I just like seeing it done rather than "reading how to do it" The video gives a complete list of everything you will need from the tools to the sockets. And plus its fun to see how everything works, its not too overwhelming when you have video. pretty simple
Old 05-06-2008, 08:11 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

One more question before I decide what to do, I can get a 80k mile trans for 400, which is less than what it will cost just for me to rebuild mine, and I don't have a press or a dial indicator, if I can get the guy to let me install it in my car before I buy it to make sure it shifts well should I go that route?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:16 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I would buy that one Tim, maybe try to get him down a little. Then use yours for practice. I havn't forgotten about you. I'm still asking folks' if they have one around.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How tough are t5s to rebuild