5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

dyno tuning ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:16 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

Default dyno tuning ?

hey guys, considering my car has been tampered with by people who didnt know what they were doing, and I dont know that much but do what I can, I was thinking about taking my car to have it dyno tuned. I dont know if this would solve my problems or not. I'm not really having serious issues but just want my engine checked out and dynod to check the condition.
I live in northern california around an hour away from Stocton, Modesto and Sacramento is about an hour and a half-two hours away. Anyone recommend a dyno shop somewhat in my area?

I have never had anythng done like this and this is my first car. I dont know what to ask them to actually do. what I was thinking to ask was just a general checkout, run it on the dyno check the numbers, air fuel ratio, sensors.... any idea on price for this to be done?
also check my tps voltage. I have read threads on how to do this but I am not that mechanically inclined with car electronics and dont want to mess anything up or cross wires somehow and blow an expensive piece. also when my car starts up it reves up to around 1500 rpm and pops a couple times. I have cleaned out the IAC and it helped for a couple times of starting it but then it came back and I cleaned it again and same results. this started hapening about 2 weeks after installing my off road h pipe, could this be the problem? I know its probably not a big deal but just kind of bothers me knowing something could be wrong.
I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but I'm only 16 and dont have enough experience to do these things. I know the only way to learn is by doing it but I dont really have anyone to guide me or anything like that. I would just like it to be prefessionally done so I know its done right.
I have an 89 mustang gt with around 90,000 miles ( I think, odometers really screwed up). My onley mods are CAI, flowmasters and off road h pipe.

thanks in advance and thanks for all your previous help.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 AM
primo232

Default RE: dyno tuning ?

If you haven't modified the car you don't need to spend money on a dyno tune. Being 16 it's a good time to find out how to work on the car yourself. Get a decent repair manual like Haynes or Chilton and just follow directions. Check your computer codes to get a clue to your problems. Changing out your catted Stock pipe in Cali might not have been such a good idea because of emissions. You are going to have to pass emissions at some point so you might want to check out a catted x or h pipe. You might want to check your 02 sensors first. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:51 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

you can check this site for dyno shops: http://www.smokemup.com/utils/dynosearch.php
Old 05-06-2008, 01:01 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

I can work on my car myself but cant do the electrical aspect of it because I dont have the equipment or even know what I would need to get to check everything.
This may be a dumb question and sorry if it is but can I have my cars air fuel ratio checked and adjusted without a dyno?

where I live in cali we only have to smog cars when we buy them, and when we sell them. (major country)
I know that but want to start off on something thats actually running right, have someone check the condition of the engine. just check and adjust general things so I have a fresh base to start from.

I have been looking for new o2 sensors but havent been able to find them anywhere, not even regular autoparts stores.

I want someone to check it out professionally so I can actually see whats left in my engine before throwing any more money into it. seeing if anythings missing, cracked, clogged....
the guy who I bought my car from was a complete idiot who tried to work on his own car this is why I want this done. I dont trust his work and also I'm sure theres a lot left in that engine just somethings a little off but dont have the knowledge to find out what.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:02 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

thanks bighungerymatt for the link but do you think this would solve my problems? or at least let me know what they are?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:04 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

A dyno will tell a/f ratio but other than that all they will adjust is timing and fuel pressure. You dont have the mods to get a chip burned. Have you fooled with the timing any? If problem started after exhaust install it could be the sensors. Take yours out and see what they look like. Unless they are fubared you probably wont be able to tell if they are good or bad. If your 02's are bad your cel should be coming on. As far as the tps, anyone can check that. Just get a cheap mm for about $10. When was the last tune up?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:17 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

last tune up was a couple months ago with dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, wires and oil change. I'm changing the fuel filter soon and going to have the codes checked at autozone most likely or kragen. the timing is at 10 but Its hard to adjust and check because my harmonic balancer is bent. I will be changing that too soon.

the wires for the o2 sensors were a little frayed but not actually showing wires so I will get new o2's.
I'm trying to find the little rubber bushing that goes in the mid pipe hanger, anyone know where to find it? mines missing one and the other is almost destroyed. not really hurting anything just that annoying clunk clunk... at a little above idle and on deaccel.

whats a mm? sorry for bein such a noob but need to ask to make sense.

thanks for your replys.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:33 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Sorry about that, Multi-Meter.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:17 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

something I've been meaning to ask but keep forgetting is when I check my fuel pressure and its off then what do I do? buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or is the stock one adjustable too?

o ok so what I'm planning to do is get a mm and a obd1 controller(whatever its called to read the codes) I found one at kragen for $25, check my fuel pressure, new O2 sensores, just got a new air filter today and made a big difference supprisingly, adjust my timing to 13-14 depending on what my car will take running on regular fuel.
sound good? did I leave anything out?
any way to check the air fuel ration without a dyno? If so how, and what should it be at?
also will the code checker tell my if my mass airflow sensor is bad? also I was thinking about buying a c&l 73mm mass airflow sensor, does that come with the sensor itself or just the body?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:55 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

anyone?

Quick Reply: dyno tuning ?