5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help with installing sunpro gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:47 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Default Help with installing sunpro gauges

Hey guys,

I bought a little universal Sunpro 3 gauge pod with oil pressure, water temp, and volt meter in it. I got q's on installation of all 3.

1st, voltmeter, seems simple. Ground it and wire it in with a fuse box accesory. Seems simple. One thing, I have a cb wired into the fuse box and I have one of those accesorry fuses that has a wire coming out of it to wire things in. Would it be safe to put the gauge on that fuse with the cb on there or should I get another one of those fuses?

2nd, is my 86 engine microprocessor controlled? It says with the oil pressure gauge to be sure that the microprocessor controled engines can accept aftermarket gauges. Can it?

3rd, for the water temp and oil pressure it tells me to wire them into the warning light sender. Where would these be for oil pressure and water temp?

Any other helpful hints on gauge installation is more then welcome![/align]
Old 05-10-2008, 02:03 PM
shaun8850
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Help with installing sunpro gauges

are the water temp and oil pressure gauges manual?? you should get manual not electric...you car should have electric gauges from factory. my gauges on my 88 was pretty simple..

run a braided line from oil gauge to the housing on the side of block, and then the temp runs to the lower intake...run gauge lights to a switch or fuse that works with headlights..

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/445...9168680ps9.jpg
Old 05-10-2008, 02:37 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

They can be electric or manual. The electric looks simpler to wire in. Either way I need to know were to wire these things into. I know where I can mount them and all but I have no idea what to plug the temp and pressure gauge into.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:51 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Okay, I found the oil pressuresender unit. It'sgot 1wire coming offof it, ifI wanted towire the gauges up electrically can Iuse thepost that this wire is on to wire the gaugeup? And weredo Ifind the water temp unit?
Old 05-10-2008, 03:05 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Okay, found both sender units. I'm okay with unplugging the stock gauges. How would I wire the new gauge onto the oil sender unit post and the water temp? I need 2 wires on the gauge. Do I run the ground from the gauge and run the hot wire to the oil pressure sender unit? And the same for the water temp? Also, for the lights on the gauges, theres 3 individual 12v light bulbs that fit in with the gauges, could I wire these together, and wire them into my fuse box with an inline fuse and a 12v accesory switch? Also, the water temp gauge has a thick wire coming off of it with a long cylinder looking thing on the end. Its for when you wire the gauge mechanically, but i'm wiring them electronically so what do I do with that long cable, it doesn't unscrew. And yes these gauges can be used electronically.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:07 PM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: haromaster87

They can be electric or manual. The electric looks simpler to wire in. Either way I need to know were to wire these things into. I know where I can mount them and all but I have no idea what to plug the temp and pressure gauge into.
wait a minute. i don't think they make gauges that you can hook up to be electric or mechanical. are you just seeing the wires for the gauge lights?
Old 05-10-2008, 03:21 PM
shaun8850
1st Gear Member

that thick wire on the temp gauge with a steal tip is the tempreture probe which needs some ppe thread and you might need to get a adapter and thread it into the driver side lower intake, remove the stock electric plug and electric temp sender tape it off plug (will not use this later).

oil gauge remove electric plug from sender, u need to run a high pressure line from there to carry oil to the gauge...any wires u have should be only for lights only.. (postive, ground, and switch wire.)

The reason people put these gauges in are cuz they are more accurate and cant have any electrical problems that can give false readings...
Old 05-10-2008, 05:30 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1985stang

wait a minute. i don't think they make gauges that you can hook up to be electric or mechanical. are you just seeing the wires for the gauge lights?
Your right. The stupid *** instructions include instructions for wiring electical or mechanical gauges with no specific help to wich you need. Now I gotta figure out how to get that big probe on the water temp to go with the water temp measure unit. Has anyone done this? If so can you walk me through it?
Old 05-11-2008, 08:32 AM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1985stang

Your right. The stupid *** instructions include instructions for wiring electical or mechanical gauges with no specific help to wich you need. Now I gotta figure out how to get that big probe on the water temp to go with the water temp measure unit. Has anyone done this? If so can you walk me through it?
ok, if the water temp gauge has a tube with a big probe on the end it's mechanical. that means you have to take out the old electric sending unit from the stock gauge, and put that in its place. when i installed my autometer, i had to buy a different fitting because the one they supplied wasn't the right size for the intake manifold.