5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need some timing questions answered...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:58 PM
TrAb
1st Gear Member

Default Need some timing questions answered...

Ok car is a 93 gt 351w...

1. First off it has a ford racing damper on it and for some reason there are three different spots marked on it. One is on the left side, then there are two on the left side. Now the two on the right side are the ones i have been trying to use to get TDC, one is on a zero point, the other on a 15degree mark. Now keep in mind these two marks on the right side are in two different degree sections. Like there are two different 0-10-20-30-40 degree places. Very hard to explain...But im sure you guys are familiar with these. I have tried setting it on both of these two and really has only started on the 15degree mark and runs very low in the RPM's no matter how i adjust the distributer.
2. Next up, the timing guide, the metal bracket that you aim the timing light at. Well im not so sure where exactly to line the damper lines up on it. There is a circular hole you could look threw, the top of the metal bracket, and a C shaped indention. Not sure which one to use...
3. Next question, I could have gotten some of my plug wires crossed while i was doing some work on the car. I cant really find a good diagram for the 351w does anybody have one showing where the wires are coming from the distributer to each plug.?

Thanksguys...
Old 05-10-2008, 07:19 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need some timing questions answered...

The very first thing you need to do is place theengine at TDC, your balancer has 3 different timinglines (this is for pionters mounted in different locations) Once you get the #1 piston at TDC look at your balance and the timing indicator, the timingline on the balanceryou need to usewill bethe one that is on Zero and lined upwith the pionted portionindicator (not the hole on the indicator)then restab the distributor.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:09 PM
TrAb
1st Gear Member

Thats exactly what i have been doing, the car will not start like this but it will when i set it to the 15 degree mark i was telling you about? (althought it runs very low in the RPM's) If i had some of the wires or even just two crossed up would it still run? Somebody also told me if there was a different crank or cam the previous owner could have changed the firing order... Scat 3.85 cast 9000 crank, CompCams 282HRcam is what it has in it.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

pointer is the mark that needs to line up on the balancer and is it EFI or carbed???.......I'd check firing order..and if wires were crossed it'd run rough and drive like crap
Old 05-10-2008, 11:18 PM
TrAb
1st Gear Member

carb, so just to be 100% sure about all this the pointer your talking about is figure A on this diagram http://www.muscularmustangs.com/timing.php
Old 05-10-2008, 11:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

so what cam is in it???flat tappet or roller set up?? I thought you had a 302 in your oil problem stang??
Old 05-10-2008, 11:21 PM
TrAb
1st Gear Member

This is the same stang but it has a 351w stroked to a 393... It has a roller setup.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

yes the pic of timing pointer is correct.. and my balancer has 3 sets of marking total also..you roll motor up to tdc and the rotor in dizzy should point to #1 cyl on cap and that's how you tell on balancer what markings to uses as the pointer will be on 0 on one of the sets of markings.....and the cam if a roller set up should use the H.O FIRING ORDER..13726548
Old 05-10-2008, 11:32 PM
TrAb
1st Gear Member

13726548, i understand that this is the order they fire in correct? But i dont understand how i know which one is suppose to fire first on the distributer cap, or where exactly the spin of the dial should start at, if you get what im saying. Im sorry but im new to carb'd vehicles and ones that use distributer :'(
Old 05-10-2008, 11:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

usually number 1 is labled on the cap if it's a grey ford replacement cap...however if it's an msd one.....number one could be where you want it to be as long as the sequence follows order after that and distributor is dropped in....in accordance with that......but usually I place number one straight back on the back of the cap if facing car and after number 1 is located in counter clockwise the firing order is placed on the cap

Quick Reply: Need some timing questions answered...