5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Newbie here with a question or two

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 12:05 AM
bagellord

Default Newbie here with a question or two

First off, I am new here and sort of new to Mustangs. I am on sort of a long term borrowing of grandpa's old 93 mustang convertable LX with auto tranny, and have a question. What is the best oil for that monster of an engine? The car has been living at the beach for several years and the salt air has done a number on it. It needs some body work and new front seats. What would be the best way to get those? I have quite a few friends who know more than I do who can help, but you can never have too much advice on this sort of thing. Anyways, in summary, what is the best oil and where should I look for new front seats?

The poor old thing. Not in great shape. It desparately needs an oil change. I looked at it, and it was old and dirty and brown (yes I know what new oil looks like, but this was the dirty omfg why brown). Overall, the powertrain is in pretty good shape with 144k on it. Still performs well after it heats up. But nowhere near what it was new. My Titan could probably beat it at the moment.

PS- this car is not owned by me. My grandfather owns it, but since we gave him the extra car we had, I had to drive something back from the beach, and I was not driving the van. We might buy it and have it restored to stock condition.

PSS- it is light blue (factory paint job) with a white top (practically brand new)
Old 05-11-2008, 12:19 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie here with a question or two

really any synthetic. i would do a complete tune up though.

new seats. check around to find some new ones. the seats out of a new edge mustang will fit in it also
Old 05-11-2008, 12:20 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: bagellord

First off, I am new here and sort of new to Mustangs. I am on sort of a long term borrowing of grandpa's old 93 mustang convertable LX with auto tranny, and have a question. What is the best oil for that monster of an engine? The car has been living at the beach for several years and the salt air has done a number on it. It needs some body work and new front seats. What would be the best way to get those? I have quite a few friends who know more than I do who can help, but you can never have too much advice on this sort of thing. Anyways, in summary, what is the best oil and where should I look for new front seats?

The poor old thing. Not in great shape. It desparately needs an oil change. I looked at it, and it was old and dirty and brown (yes I know what new oil looks like, but this was the dirty omfg why brown). Overall, the powertrain is in pretty good shape with 144k on it. Still performs well after it heats up. But nowhere near what it was new. My Titan could probably beat it at the moment.

PS- this car is not owned by me. My grandfather owns it, but since we gave him the extra car we had, I had to drive something back from the beach, and I was not driving the van. We might buy it and have it restored to stock condition.

PSS- it is light blue (factory paint job) with a white top (practically brand new)
Newsflash!! hate to break it to you but a stock 5.0 is no monstor or titan at that....but regular oil 10w30 grade and a good ole fl-1a filter is fine and check out 50resto.com for all resto needs= hence the name
Old 05-11-2008, 07:12 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

i'd go synthetic too, royal purple or amsoil are great but pricey, mobil1 or castrol are just fine and you get a pretty good deal ont he 4 or 5 qt jug from walmart

+1 on the full tuneup, plugs, wires, cap , rotor, fuel filter, timing, tps check, all the good stuff.

also go over the vaclines, look for cracked lines

as far as seats ??? check ebay, and all the mustamg sites that have classifieds in them, also graigslist for wrecked cars that you could snag the whole interior or other misc parts.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

really any synthetic. i would do a complete tune up though.

new seats. check around to find some new ones. the seats out of a new edge mustang will fit in it also
Does that require any modifications?
Old 05-11-2008, 10:35 AM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

I agree, id do a tune up and oil change and itll probley run 100times better.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:53 AM
OneFine89Mustang
4th Gear Member

10w30 will be just fine with a motorcraft filter,,, cjponyparts.com has numerous different seats you can get from factory to aftermarket
Old 05-11-2008, 01:06 PM
bagellord

Ok thank all of you. And it is a beast if you know what you are doing, and the Titans are very very fast in the right hands (cough, mine, cough). Anyways, after I fix it up and get it back to stock, then I start with the mods, if I can. I'm thinking intake, exhaust, MAYBE a turbo. Would Castrol GTX be ok?
Old 05-11-2008, 02:55 PM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

yea titans are pretty fast (cough, but not as fast as my bronco,cough).