5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

car has bad lean on passenger side

Old 05-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Detroit_Muscle
2nd Gear Member

Default car has bad lean on passenger side

The car has a nasty lean.The driver side is sittingmuch higher than the passenger side.The entire driver side is about 1.25 inches higher. This became very noticible after i got new spirngs, shocks, struts, uppper andlower control arms and tires. Its almostembarassingto drive it around. I have made sure the springs are lined up correct on both sides andalso put in new isolators for the rear springs. This helped out and leveled the car about 1/4 of an inch.

I still have 1.25 inches to go and have checked everything else. Ineed any helpor ideas you guys have soI can bring her back to level.

thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 07:40 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: car has bad lean on passenger side

may have a bad spring?? did you set them all side by side before install?? and are they seated in control arm properly??
Old 05-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Detroit_Muscle
2nd Gear Member

Yep they all matched up corectly , what i might do is switch the to rear springs and see if i stil have the lean on the passenger side or if it changes whit the spring. That way I will know if its the spring or a bigger issue.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:08 PM
306stang
2nd Gear Member

i'm having the same problem with the stock suspension on my stang.
I'm probably getting new shocks and springs all around to try and fix it.

Since your stuff is new, just try switchin the springs like you said, to see if things change. then you know your problem!!
Old 05-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Detroit_Muscle
2nd Gear Member

I know. but I have a feeling its not the springs.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:22 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I have that same problem with my 83 and its stock v6 suspension with a v8 motor. I have a bad strut though. I can wiggle mine around at the top of it and when I push down on it I can here it make a knock type sound. It didn't start the lean until I started driving it. Then I could sit on the front of the car and it would drop a little and then the passenger side would drop a little more. Sometimes the more I think about it I could (I do need to upgrade them too) need some springs.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:56 PM
highspeed
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Detroit_Muscle

The car has a nasty lean.The driver side is sittingmuch higher than the passenger side.The entire driver side is about 1.25 inches higher. This became very noticible after i got new spirngs, shocks, struts, uppper andlower control arms and tires. Its almostembarassingto drive it around. I have made sure the springs are lined up correct on both sides andalso put in new isolators for the rear springs. This helped out and leveled the car about 1/4 of an inch.

I still have 1.25 inches to go and have checked everything else. Ineed any helpor ideas you guys have soI can bring her back to level.

thanks
Are your struts adjustable?

Did you have this problem before you switched everything out?

Are your torq boxes in good repair?
Old 05-12-2008, 01:05 AM
pony831
1st Gear Member

i have the same problem with my 87 gt my driver side sits lower than my passenger side.....but i had a blown out rear shock on my driver side so maybe it wore down my spring
Old 05-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Detroit_Muscle
2nd Gear Member

Yes the struts are adj. I have adjusted them with no luck. The torq boxs have been checked and are in good shape. The lean was there but you could bearly notice it. I figured changing everything with new parts would fix it, but just made it worse.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

I had the same problem with my FRPP B-springs. First batch had a defective rear spring and made that corner about 1" higher than the other side. When summit sent the replacement set and I pulled that spring out it was obviously too tall.

I think your plan of changing sides with the spring sounds reasonable if you already checked them for height before installation. Could be that one is wrapped wrong or something.